Antigen Processing and Presentation at a Molecular Level
The recognition of antigen by helper T-cells through their antigen specific receptor has been the center of intense investigation by many different researchers. Helper T-cells recognize antigen in association with a class II molecule on the surface of an antigen presenting cell. Unlike B-cells which generally recognize determinants found in the native form of the antigen, most T-cells recognize a non-native form of the antigen. It is this conversion of antigen from a native form to the form recognized by T-cells which has been operationally defined as antigen processing. Over the past four years, we have developed a system which utilizes the antigen hen egg-white lysozyme to determine at a molecular level 1) what antigen processing is, 2) how the determinant recognized by the T-cell is formed, and 3) what precisely is the ligand of the T-cell receptor. In this manuscript, we would like to initially review the concept of antigen processing at a molecular level and then present our results on the formation and recognition by the T-cell receptor of an antigenic determinant of HEL.
KeywordsAntigen Processing Immunogenic Peptide Antigen Specific Receptor Wild Type Residue Space Residue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, P.M., and Unanue, E.R., 1984, Differential requirement for antigen processing by macrophages for lysozyme-specific T cell hybridomas, J. Immunol., 132: 1077.Google Scholar
- Allen, P.M., Strydom, D.J., and Unanue, E.R., 1984, Processing of lysozyme by macrophages: Identification of the determinant recognized by two T cell hybridomas, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 81: 2489Google Scholar
- Allen, P.M., Matsueda, G.R., Haber, E., and Unanue, E.R., 1985, Specificity of the T cell receptor: Two different determinants are generated by the same peptide and the I-Ak molecule, J. Immunol., 135: 368.Google Scholar
- Babbitt, B.P., Matsueda, G.R., Haber, E., Unanue, E.R., and Allen, P.M., 1986, Antigenic Competition at the Level of the Peptide-I-A Binding, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 83: 4509.Google Scholar
- Berzofsky, J.A. (ed.), 1986, Forum on Antigen Processing and Presentation, Ann. Inst. Pasteur/Immunology, 137D:297.Google Scholar