Role of B Lymphocytes and Antibodies in the Regulation of Cell-Mediated Immune Reactions to BCG in Mice
The mechanisms underlying the depression of the specific cell-mediated immune (CMI) reactions during the course of active tuberculous infections are complex and far from being fully understood. As comprehensively discussed in other chapters, in spite of considerable research, a clear picture is still lacking.
KeywordsSuppressor Cell Cell Transfer Purify Protein Derivative Contact Sensitivity Lepromatous Leprosy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Orme, I. M. ,and Collins, F. M. ,1984, Passive transfer of tuberculin sensitivity from anergic mice, Infect. Imrnun. 46:850–853.Google Scholar
- 8.Kato, K., Yamamoto, K-I., Kimura, T., Azuma, I., and Askenase, P. W., 1984, Suppression of BCG cell wall-induced delayed type hypersensitivity by pretreatment with killed BCG: Induction of nonspecific suppressor T cells by the adjuvant portion (MDP) and of specific suppressor T cells by the antigen portion (TAP), J. Immunol. 132:2790– 2795.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Campa, M., 1984, Bacterial interference with cell-mediated immunity, in: Bacterial and Viral Inhibition and Modulation of Host Defenses (G. Falcone, M. Campa, H. Smith, and G. M. Scott, eds.), pp. 135–157, Academic, London.Google Scholar
- 17.Campa, M., Benedettini, G., De Libero, G., Mori, L., and Falcone, G., 1984, T suppressor cells as well as anti-hapten and anti-idiotype B lymphocytes regulate contact sensitivity to oxazolone in mice injected with purified protein derivative from Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Infect. Immun. 45:701–707.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Benedettini, G., De Libero, G., Mori, L., Marelli, P., Angioni, M. R., and Campa, M., 1985, Staphylococcus aureus-mduced suppression of contact sensitivity in mice. Suppressor cells elicited by polyclonal B-cell activation are regulated by idiotype antiidiotype interactions, Cell. Immunol. 93:508–519.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Campa, M., De Libero, G., Benedettini, G., Mori, L., Angioni, M. R., Marelli, P., and Falcone, G., 1985, Polyclonal B cell activators inhibit contact sensitivity to oxazolone in mice by potentiating the production of anti-hapten antibodies that induce T suppressor lymphocytes acting through the release of soluble factors, Int. Arch. Allergy Appl. Immunol. 78:391–395.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Zembala, M. A., Asherson, G. L., James, B. M. B., Stein, V. E., and Watkins, M. C., 1982, Anti-haptene T suppressor factor acts through an I-J + , Ly 1 -2 + , T acceptor cell that releases a nonspecific inhibitor of the transfer of contact sensitivity when exposed to antigen, J. Immunol. 129: 1823–1829.PubMedGoogle Scholar