Chemical and Biological Changes in the Ter River Induced by a Series of Reservoirs
The climatological and topographical characteristics of the Iberian peninsula have made the construction of reservoirs a necessity. Thus, more than 700 reservoirs have been constructed since the beginning of the century, one hundred of which have been the object of intensive study (Margalef et al. 1976). Nevertheless, the effect of these reservoirs on rivers is practically unknown. Garcia de Jalon (1984) reached a similar conclusion in a survey of existing literature on this topic. In this study we attempt to quantify the biological and chemical effects of three reservoirs located in the middle section of the River Ter. An earlier study suggested that these reservoirs had affected the macroinvertebrate communities residing below the reservoirs (Prat 1981). Because a flood occurred during our study we were also able to monitor the regulatory efficiency of these reservoirs.
KeywordsMacroinvertebrate Community Diatom Community Annual Fluctuation Macrophyte Community Lotic Ecosystem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Garcia de Jalón, D. 1984. Stream regulation in Spain. In: Regulated rivers. (Ed by A. Lillehammer and S. J. Salveit) pp. 481–484. Universitetsforlaget AS, Oslo.Google Scholar
- Margalef, R., Planas, D., Armengol, J., Vidal, A., Prat, N., Guiset, A., Toja, J. and Estrada, M. 1976. Limnología de los embalses españoles. Dirección Gral de Obras Publicas, M.O.P. (eds), Publ. n° 123: 385 pp.Google Scholar
- Patrick, R. 1973. Use of algae, especially diatoms, in the assessment of water quality. In: Biological methods for the assessment of water quality. (Ed by J. Cairns Jr and K. L. Dickson) pp. 23–47. American Soc. for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Prat, N. 1981. The influence of reservoirs discharge on benthic fauna in the river Ter, N.E. Spain. Proc. of the 3rd. Int. Symp. on Trichoptera. (Ed by G. P. Moretti). Series Entomologica, 20: 293–301.Google Scholar
- Puig, M. A., Gonzalez, G. and Recasens, L. 1985. Modelos de distribución de Plecópteros, Efemerópteros, Tricópteros y Simúlidos en el rio Ter. 3rd. Congreso de Limnología, León-Spain.Google Scholar
- Sabater, F. and Armengol, J. 1985. Caracterización química del rio Ter. 3rd. Congreso de Limnologia, León-Spain.Google Scholar
- Ward, J. V. and Stanford, J. A. 1983a. The serial discontinuity concept of plotic ecosystems. In: Dynamics of Lotic Ecosystems. (Ed by T. D. Fontaine and S. M. Bartell) pp. 330–346. Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Ward, J. V. and Stanford, J. A. 1983b. The intermediate-disturbance hypothesis: an explanation for biotic diversity patterns in lotic ecosystems. In: Dynamics of Lotic Ecosystems. (Ed by T. D. Fontaine and S. M. Bartell) pp. 347–356. Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar