Measurement of the Antiprotonic Lyman- and Balmer X-Rays of p̄H And p̄D Atoms at Very Low Target Pressures
The experiment described here (PS 175) aims at the measurement of the 2p-ls transition in antiprotonic hydrogen under optimal conditions1. Theoretical calculations based on potential models2,3,4,5,6,7 predict hadronic shifts and widths of the ground state of about 1 keV compared to a 2p-ls electromagnetic transition energy of 9.35 keV. Because the energy difference between 2p and 3p levels is 1.735 keV, the 2p-ls transition is separated from other np-ls transitions by more than the width of the ground state. The 2p-ls transition is the only transition satisfying this criterion.
KeywordsCascade Process Beam Momentum Target Chamber Cascade Code Stop Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Blüm, D. Gotta, R. Guigas, H. Koch, W. Kunold, M. Schneider and L.M. Simons, Proposal PS 175, CERN/PSCC/S27 (1980).Google Scholar
- 1a.L. M. Simons, Proc. Workshop on Physics at LEAR with low-energy cooled antiprotons (Erice, 1982), eds. U. Gastaldi and R. Klapisch (Plenum Press, New York, 1984) p. 155. D. Gotta,Google Scholar
- 1b.L. M. Simons, Proc. Workshop on Physics at LEAR with low-energy cooled antiprotons (Erice, 1982), eds. U. Gastaldi and R. Klapisch (Plenum Press, New York, 1984) p. 165.Google Scholar
- 5.J. M. Richard and M. E. Sainio, PL110B, (1982) 349.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Moussallam, Orsay preprint 86–44.Google Scholar
- 7.W. B. Kaufmann, Proc. Kaon factory workshop, T. R. I. 79–1.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Borie and M. Leon, P.R. A21, (1980) 1460.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Blüm, D. Gotta, W. Kunold, M. Schneider and L.M. Simons, The cyclotron trap: A device to produce high stop densities, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Wycech, A. M. Green and J. A. Niskanen, PL152B, (1985) 308.Google Scholar