Receptors for Insulin and Insulin Related Peptides in the CNS: Studies of Localization in Rat Brain
The central nervous system (CNS) has traditionally been excluded as an insulin target tissue because glucose metabolism in the CNS seems to be unaffected by insulin. We have found that insulin and specific receptors for insulin are present in rodent brain although their physiologic role is unknown. Recent work in rats has shown that receptors for IGF-I and IGF-II are also present in the CNS.
KeywordsInsulin Receptor Olfactory Bulb Choroid Plexus Insulin Binding Insulin Receptor Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baskin, D.G., Brewitt, B., Davidson, D., Corp, E., Paquette, T., Figlewicz, D., Lewellen, T., Graham, M., Woods, S., Dorsa, D., 1986, Quantitative autoradiographic evidence for insulin receptors in the choroid plexus of the rat brain, Diabetes 35: 246A.Google Scholar
- Beinfeld, M.C., Meyer, D.K., Eskay, R.L., Jensen, R.T., Brownstein, M.J. 1981, The distribution of cholecystokinin immunoreactivity in the control nervous system of the rat as determined by radioimmunoassay, Brain Res. 212:51–57.Google Scholar
- Connor, J.R., and Fine, R.E., 1984, Localization of a transferrin-like protein in the adult rat CNS, Soc. Neurosci. 10: 154A.Google Scholar
- Devaskar, S.V., Karycki, L., Devaskar, V.P., 1986, Varying brain insulin concentrations differentially regulate the fetal brain insulin receptor, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 136: 208–219.Google Scholar
- Havrankova, J., Roth, J., Brownstein, M.J., 1979, Concentration of insulin and of insulin receptors in brain are independent of peripheral insulin levels, J. Clin. Invest. 64: 636–642.Google Scholar
- Heidenreich, K.A., 1985, The Mr difference between insulin receptors in brain and peripheral tissues is due to variation in carbohydrate content, Diabetes [Suppl] 34: 56A.Google Scholar
- Hill, J.M., Lesniak, M.A., Kiess, W., Nissley, S.P., 1987, Radioimmunohistochemical localization of IGF-II receptors in rat brain, Peptides (in press).Google Scholar
- Lesniak, M.A., Hill, J.M., Roth, J., Pert, C.B., 1986, Autoradiographic localization of 125-I-IGF-I and 125-I-IGF-II receptors in rat brain: comparison with insulin receptors, Diabetes 35: 58A.Google Scholar
- Shepherd, G.M., 1979, Olfactory cortex, in: “The Synaptic Organization of the Brain”, Oxford University Press, N.YGoogle Scholar