GABA and Enkephalin Immunoreactivity in Monkey Neostriatum
At the first IBAGS Symposium in Australia, we presented some of our work on the immunocytochemical localization of serotonin in the primate basal ganglia (Pasik et al., 1984). It was the only report at the meeting utilizing this technique. The program of this second symposium contains over a dozen such papers, bearing witness to the power of immunocytochemistry to unravel the intimate organization of the nervous system, particularly at the synaptic level. The advent of additional antibodies which recognize small molecules, such as neuroactive amino acids, together with the development of double labeling techniques at the ultrastructural level, have contributed greatly to the strength of the method. We have used such an antibody directed against GABA (Hodgson et al., 1985), and the localization of this compound together with leu-enkephalin (ENK) in the same section, to visualize specific immunoreactive elements in the neostriatum of the macaque monkey.
KeywordsFormaldehyde Serotonin Methionine Choline Ferritin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., and DiFiglia, M. (1976) Quantitative aspects of neuronal organization in the neostriatum of the macaque monkey. In: The Basal Ganglia, M.D. Yahr, ed., Raven Press, New York, pp. 57–90.Google Scholar
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., and DiFiglia, M. (1977) Interneurons in the neostriatum of monkeys. In: The Neuron Concept To-Day, J. Szentágothai, J. Hámori, and E.S. Vizi (eds.), Budapest, Adakemiai Kiadó, pp. 153–162.Google Scholar
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., and DiFiglia, M. (1979) The internal organization of the neostriatum in mammals. In The Neostriatum, I. Divac and R.G.E. Oberg (eds.), Oxford, Pergamon Press, pp. 5–36.Google Scholar
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., and Holstein, G.R. (1987) Ultrastructural chemoanatomy of the basal ganglia: an overview. In Parkinson’s Disease, M.D. Yahr and K.J. Bergmann (eds.), Adv. Neurol., Vol. 45, New York: Raven Press, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., Holstein, G.R., and Hamori, J. (submitted) GABAergic elements in the neuronal circuits of the monkey neostriatum. A light and electron microscopic immunocytochemical study. J. Comp. Neurol.Google Scholar
- Pasik, P., Pasik, T., Holstein, G.R., and Pecci Saavedra, J. (1984) Serotoninergic innervation of the monkey basal ganglia: an immunocytochemical, light and electron microscopic study. In: The Basal Ganglia. Structure and Function, J. McKenzie, R.E. Kemm and L.N. Wilcock, eds., Plenum Press, New York, pp. 115–129.Google Scholar
- Pasik, T., and Pasik, P. (1982) Serotoninergic afferents in monkey neostriatum. Acta Biol. Hung., 33:277–288.Google Scholar
- Sternberger, L.A. (1979) Immunocytochemistry. New York: Wiley, pp. 354.Google Scholar