Intracellular Distribution of Organic and Inorganic Anions in Mesophyll Cells: Transport Mechanisms in the Tonoplast
Plants contain organic as well as inorganic ions. Both play an important role in metabolism. Malic acid accumulates in the vacuoles of CAM plants during the night, and this process is reversed during the daytime (Osmond and Holtum, 1981). In contrast, in leaves of C3 plants, vacuolar levels of malate are high at the end of the day and low in the morning (Gerhardt and Heldt, 1984). Both examples reflect the dynamics of vacuolar compartmentation.
KeywordsInorganic Anion Mesophyll Protoplast Vacuolar Storage Chloride Uptake Malate Transport
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christensen, L. E., Below, F. E., and Hageman, R. H., 1981, The effect of ear removal on senescence and metabolism of maize, Plant Physiol., 68: 1180.Google Scholar
- Jeschke, W. D., 1979, in: “Recent Advances in the Biochemistry of Cereals”, D. L. Laidman and R. G. Wyn-Jones, eds., Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, G., and Heber, U., 1984, Sucrose transport into vacuoles isolated from barley mesophyll protoplasts, Planta 161: 562.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, G., Martinoia, E., and Wiemken, A., 1982, Rapid appearence of photosynthetic products in the vacuoles isolated from barley mesophyll protoplasts by a new fast method, Z. Pflanzenphysiol., 107: 103.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, W. M., Weber, H., and Sauer, M., 1983, Photosynthetic capacity, osmotic response and solute content of leaves and chloroplasts fromSpinacea oleraceaunder salt stress, Z. Pflanzenphysiol., 113:15.Google Scholar
- Martinoia, E., Flügge, U. I., Kaiser, G., Heber, U., and Heldt, H. W., 1985, Energy-dependent uptake of malate into vacuoles isolated from barley mesophyll protoplasts, Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 806:311.Google Scholar
- Martinoia, E., Schramm, M. J., Kaiser, G., Kaiser, W. M., and Heber, U., 1986, Transport of anions in isolated barley vacuoles. 1. Permeability to anions and evidence for a Cr-uptake system, Plant Physiol., 80: 895.Google Scholar
- Osmond, C. B., and Holtum, J. A. M., 1981, in: “The Biochemistry of Plants”, M. D. Hatch and N. K. Boardman, eds., Vol. 8, Academic Press, New-York.Google Scholar