Changes of Vacuolar and Cytoplasmic pH Associated with the Activation of the H+ Pump in Elodea Leaves
The widespread presence of an ATP-driven H+ pump operating at the plasmalemma of higher plant cells is well established by in vivo and by in vitro work (Marrè and Ballarin-Denti, 1985). In recent investigations attention has been centered on the relationships between the activity at this pump, the activity of the biochemical PEP-malate pH-stat and the regulation of intracellular pH (Marrè et al., 1986 b).
KeywordsRoot Segment Transmembrane Electrical Potential Electrogenic Proton Pump Elodea Densa Elodea Leave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albergoni, F., Marrè, M. T., and Marrè, E., 1986, Preliminary observations on the integration of photosynthesis with solute transport. I. Elodea densa. Planch as a suitable experimental material, Rend. Acc. Naz. Lincei, in press.Google Scholar
- Cocucci, M. C., and Marre, E., 1986, Erythrosin B as an effective inhibitor of electrogenic H+ extrusion, Plant Cell Environment in press.Google Scholar
- Dagley, S., 1974, Citrat UV-spectrophotometr. Best., in: “Methoden der Enzymastischen Analyse”, Vol. 2, A. U. Bermeyer, ed., Verlag-Chemie Weinheim, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Davies, D. D., 1973, Control of and by pH, in: “Symp. Soc. Exp. Biol.”, Vol. 27, pp. 513–524.Google Scholar
- Guern, J., Kurkdjian, A., and Mathieu, Y., 1982, Hormonal regulation of intracellular pH: Hypotheses versus facts, in: “Plant Growth Substances”, P. F. Wareing, ed., Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Marrè, E., 1985, Fusicoccin-and hormone-induced changes of H+ extrusion: Physiological implications, in: “Frontiers of Membrane Research in Agriculture”, J. B. Saint-John, E. Berlin and P. C. Jackson, eds., Rowman and Allanheld, Totowa.Google Scholar
- Marrè, E., Marrè, M. T., and Romani, G., 1985, Effects of plant hormones on transport and metabolism: Involvement of changes in cytoplasmic pH, in: “Proceedings of the 16th Meeting of FEBS Moscow 1984”, VNU Science Press, Utrecht.Google Scholar
- Marrè, M. T., Albergoni, F., and Marrè, E., 1986, Preliminary observations on the integration of photosynthesis with solute transport. II. Photosynthesis-induced activation of the vanadate-sensitive electrogenic proton pump in Elodea densa Planch leaves, Rend. Acc. Naz. Lincei, in press.Google Scholar
- Marrè, M. T., Romani, G., Bellando, M., and Marrè, E., 1986, Stimulation of weak acid uptake and increase in cell sap pH as an evidence for FC and K+ induced cytosol alkalinization, Plant _Physiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Rasi-Caldogno, F., De Michelis, M. I., Pugliarello, M. C., and Marrè, E., 1986, H+-pumping driven by the plasma membrane ATPase in membrane vesicles from radish: Stimulation by fusicoccin, Plant Physiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Romani, G., Marrè, M. T., and Marrè, E., 1983, Effects of permeant weak acids on dark CO2 fixation and malate level in maize root segments, Physiol. Vég. 21:867.Google Scholar