On the Existence of a Tonoplast-Bound ATPase
In order to account for accumulation of metabolites in plant vacuoles, the existence of a proton-pumping ATPase has been widely invoked in the literature. In a complex system like plant vacuoles, the ATP hydrolysis may be catalyzed not only by ATPases but also by some other enzymes not necessarily implicated in an energization process of the tonoplast.
KeywordsAmmonium Heptamolybdate Plant Vacuole Tonoplast Vesicle Quinacrine Fluorescence Tonoplast Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boller, T., 1982, Enzymatic equipment of plant vacuoles, Physiol. Vég., 20:247.Google Scholar
- Fiske, C. H., and Subbarow, Y., 1925, The colorimetric determination of phosphorus, J. Biol. Chem., 66:375.Google Scholar
- Grubmeyer, C., and Spencer, M., 1979, Effects of anions on a soluble ATPase from mitochondria of pea cotyledons, Plant Cell Physiol., 20:83.Google Scholar
- Hager, A., and Helmle, M., 1981, Properties of an ATP-fueled, Cl--dependent proton pump localized in membranes of microsomal vesicles from maize coleoptiles, Z. Naturforsch. 36 c:997.Google Scholar
- Hill, M., Dupaix, A., Volfin, P., Kurkdjian, A., and Arrio, B., 1986, H.P.L.C. technique for simultaneous kinetic measurements of adenine nucleotides in isolated vacuoles, Methods In Enzymology, in press.Google Scholar
- Hill, M., Dupaix, A., Volfin, P., Kurkdjian, A., and Arrio, B., 1987, Simultaneous kinetic measurements of adenine nucleotides in isolated vacuoles by HPLC technique, in: “Plant Vacuoles. Their Importance in Solute Compartmentation and Their Applications in Biotechnology”, B. Marin, ed., Plenum Publishing Corporation, New-York.Google Scholar
- Nagahashi, G., 1985, The marker concept in cell fractionation, in: “Modern Methods of Plant Analysis”, H. F. Linskens and J. F. Jackson, eds., Vol. 1, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Poole, R. J., Briskin, D. P., Kràtky, Z., and Johnstone, R. M., 1984, Density gradient localization of plasma membrane and tonoplast from storage tissue of growing and dormant red beet. Characterization of proton-transport and ATPase in tonoplast vesicles, Plant Physiol., 74:549.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar