Development of a Comprehensive Approach for Acoustic Emission Monitoring of Carbon-Epoxy Composites
The development of quantitative acoustic emission (AE) techniques has made it possible to apply signal processing analyses to recover detailed information from the detected AE signals. This paper focuses on the results of experiments following two different approaches of extracting useful information from AE signals produced in carbon-epoxy composites. Experiments to show how the two methods can be coupled to provide a comprehensive monitoring of damage accumulation in composites are described.
KeywordsAcoustic Emission Carbon Fiber Reinforce Plastic Acoustic Emission Event Acoustic Emission Energy Acoustic Emission Count
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Proulx D., Roy C. and Zimcik D.G., “Assessment of the State of the Art of Nondestructive Evaluation of Advanced Composite Materials”, Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1985 pp. 325–334.Google Scholar
- 2.Roy C., Benzeggagh M., Prel Y. and de Charentenay F.X., “The Influence of Specimen Thickness in Determining the Interlaminar Fracture Energy of Glass Fiber-Epoxy Composites”, Proceedings of 39th Meeting of the Mech. Failures Prevention Group, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, May 1–3 1984, Cambridge Un. Press, pp. 205–213.Google Scholar
- 3.Maslouhi A., Roy C. and Proulx D., “Identification of Acoustic Emission Sources in Carbon-Epoxy Composite”, European Materials Research Society Conference, Strasbourg, Nov. 26–28, 1985.Google Scholar
- 5.Pollock A.A.B., “Acoustic Emission Amplitude”, N.D.T., Vol. 6, 1973, pp. 63–70.Google Scholar
- 7.Cordon A.H. and Verchery G., “Mechanical Characterization of Load Bearing Fibre Composite Laminates”, Elsevier Applied Publishers, 1984, pp. 161–169.Google Scholar
- 8.Maslouhi A., Roy C. and Proulx D., “Characterization of Acoustic Emission Signals Generated in Carbon-Epoxy Composites, July 22–25, 1986, Montreal Canada.Google Scholar
- 9.de Charentenay F.X. and Benzeggagh M., “Fracture Mechanics of Mode I Delamination in Composite Materials”, 4th Int. Conf. on Composite Mat., Ed. Bunsell A.D., Vol. 1, 1980, pp. 186–191.Google Scholar