Cure Monitoring of Composite Structure Using Mechanical Impedance Analysis (MIA)
Very few techniques are sufficiently sensitive and reproducible to be used effectively as an in-process, real-time tool for cure monitoring of composite structures. In conventional cure cycles a fixed cure schedule with temperature monitoring, usually according to the prepreg manufacturer’s instruction, is followed. But these fixed cure cycles do not precisely control the cure conditions of complex integrated structures of which the dimensions are large and variable. This is especially true if the structure contains various prepreg properties and forms. A closed loop feedback control of cure and automation of composite structure production have yet to be realized.
KeywordsAcoustic Emission Fast Fourier Transform Mode Shape Composite Structure Dynamic Mechanical Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.H. Kaelble and R.J. Shuford, “Composite Characterization Techniques: Overview”, US Army Mantech J. 10(2) (1985) 17.Google Scholar
- 2.J.L. Koenig, “Composite Characterization Techniques: Physiochemical” US Army Mantech J. 10(2) (1985)27.Google Scholar
- 6.D.E. Kranbuehl, S.E. Delos, and P.K. Jue, “Dynamic Dielectric Characterization of the Cure Process: LARC-160”, 28th National SAMPE Symp. April 12–14, 1983, p. 608.Google Scholar
- 7.S.D. Senturia, N.F. Sheppard Jr., H.L. Lee, and S.B. Marshall,“Cure Monitoring and Control with Combined Dielectric/Temp. Probes”, 28th National SAMPE Symp. April 12–14, 1983. p.851.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Minoda, Y. Sakatani, Y. Yamaguchi, M. Niizeki, and H. Saigoku, “Toward Process Optimization by Monitoring the Electrical Properties during the Cure Cycle for CFRP” in Recent Adv. in Comp, in the US and Japan, ASTM STP 864, ASTM, Phila., 1985, pp. 489–501.Google Scholar
- 12.J. H. Speake, R. G. C. Arridge, and G. J. Crutis, J. Phys. D.7 (1974) 412.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Wright and D. D. Campbell, J. Phys. E-10 (1977) 1241.Google Scholar
- 16.N. F. Sheppard, S. L. Garverick, D. R. Ray, and S. D. Senturia, “Microdielectrometry: A New Method for In Situ Cure Monitoring,” Proc. 26th National SAMPE Symp. 26 (April, 1981) pp. 65–76.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Hinricks, “Interactive Computer Process System for Composite Autoclave Fabrication,” “Critical Review: Techniques for the Characterization of Composite Materials,” Mass. Inst. Tech. (June 1981).Google Scholar
- 19.D. H. Kaeble, “Computer Aided Design of Polymers and Composites,” Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 20.B. Z. Jang and G. H. Zhu “Monitoring of Dynamic Mechanical Behavior of Polymers and Composites Using MIA”, Accepted by J. Appl. Polymer Sci.. 1986.Google Scholar
- 21.B. Z. Jang, G.H.Zhu, and Y.S.Chang, “Cure Monitoring and Control of Thermosetting Resins and Composites”, to appear in Polymer Composites.Google Scholar