Oscillations in Wheat Chloroplast Photochemical Activity: Effect of Uncouplers
Temporal oscillations in morphological, physiological and biochemical parameters of plants are ubiquitous. Rhythmic phenomena in photosynthesis have been, found to be endogenous in nature and have been studied in algae as well as in higher plants (Edmunds, 1984; Sweeney, 1979; Lonergan, 1984b; Sweeney and Prezelin, 1978). Among the O2 evolving photosynthetic organisms, with the exception or cyanobacteria a large number of algal species representing almost all major taxonomic groups seem to exhibit rhythmic property in their photosynthetic capacity. However, the number of reports on photosynthesis rhythms in higher plants is limited to only a few species. Observations on the rhythmicity in photosynthesis have been made both under field and laboratory growth conditions. Time-dependent reversible variations in the chloroplast shape, movement and in the ultrastructure of thylakoid membranes in the case of algal cells have been investigated in detail (Sweeney, 1979).
KeywordsThylakoid Membrane Euglena Gracilis Electron Transport Activity Primary Leave Wheat Chloroplast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cumming, B.G., 1972, The role of circadian rhythmicity in photoperiodic induction in plants, in: Proceedings of International Symposium on Circadian Rhythmicity (Wageningen), pp 33–85.Google Scholar
- Edmunds, Jr., L.N., 1984, Physiology of circadian rhythms in microorganisms, in: Advances in Microbial Physiology, A.H. Rose and D.W. Tempest, eds., 25: 61–148, Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Good, N.E., 1977, Uncoupling of electron transport from phosphorylation in chloroplasts, in: Encyclopeida of Plant Physiology, Photosynthesis-I, A. Trebst and M. Avron, eds., New Series, Vol. 5, pp. 429–436, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Okada, M., and Horie, H., 1979, Diurnal rhythm in the Hill reaction in cell-free extracts of the green alga Bryopsis maxima, Plant Cell Physiol., 20: 1403–1406.Google Scholar
- Sayeed, S.A., Behera, B.K., and Mohanty, P., 1983, Electron transport in chloroplasts from detached senescing leaves of wheat (Triticum aestivum), Trop. Plant Sci. Res., 1:81–87.Google Scholar
- Sweeney, B.M., 1979, Endogenous rhythms in the movement of plants, _in: Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, W. Haupt, and M.E. Felnleib, eds., New Series, Vol. 7, pp.71–93, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Wagner, E., 1977, Molecular basis of physiological rhythms, in: Integration of Activity in the Higher Plant, D.H. Jennings, ed., pp. 33–72, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar