Mode of Action of Somatostatin in Islet B-Cells: Influence on Glucose-, L-Isoleucine- and Glyburide-Induced Electrical Activity
The widespread role of somatostatin (SRIF, somatotropin release inhibiting factor) as a modulator of neural activity as well as endocrine and exocrine secretion has stimulated interest in its mechanism of action.
KeywordsIslet Cell Pancreatic Islet Insulin Release Spike Activity Electrical Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pace CS. Somatostatin: control of stimulus-secretion coupling in pancreatic islet cells. In: Bloom FE, ed. Peptides: integrators of cell and tissue function. New York: Raven Press, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Efendic S, Luft R. Studies on the mechanism of somatostatin action on insulin release in man. I. Effect of blockade of a-adrenergic receptors. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1975; 78: 516–23.Google Scholar
- 6.Efendic S, Luft R, Claro A. Studies on the mechanism of somatostatin action on insulin release in man. II. Comparison of the effects of somatostatin on insulin release induced by glucose, glucagon and tolbutamide. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1976; 81: 743–52.Google Scholar
- 11.Henquin JC86Meissner HP. Effects of amino acids on membrane potential and Rb fluxes in pancreatic B-cells. Am J Physiol 1981; 240:E245–52.Google Scholar
- 15.Sehlin J, Taljedal I-B. Transport of rubidium and sodium in pancreatic islets. Am J Physiol 1979; 236: E139–46.Google Scholar
- 19.Armstrong CM. Interaction of tetraethylammonium ion derivatives with the potassium channels of giant axons. J Gen Physiol 1971; 58: 4 1337.Google Scholar
- 21.Stanfield PR. The effect of the tetraethylammonium ion on the delayed currents of frog skeletal muscle. J Physiol (Lond) 1970; 209: 209–29.Google Scholar
- 23.Atwater I, Ribalet B, Rojas E. Mouse pancreatic B-cells: tetraethylammonium blockage of the potassium permeability increase induced by depolarization. J Physiol (Lond) 1979; 288: 561–74.Google Scholar
- 25.Atwater I, Dawson CM, Ribalet B, Rojas E. Potassium permeability activated by intracellular calcium ion concentration in the pancreatic B-cell. J Physiol (Lond) 1979; 288: 575–88.Google Scholar
- 30.Cook DR, Hales CN. Intracellular ATP directly blocks K+ channels in pancreatic B-cells. Nature 1984; 311:271–3Google Scholar
- 31.Rorsman P, Trube G. Glucose dependent K channels in pancreatic B-cells are regulated by intracellular ATP. Pflugers Arch 1985; 405:305–9Google Scholar