Attempt to Include Refraction in an Ultrasonic Tomography Algorithm
This paper is concerned with reconstruction of ultrasonic tomography from time-of-flight projections. The use of conventional CT methods, assuming straight line propagation, generally yields to insufficient quality images. In order to improve the reconstruction, the refraction phenomenon has to be taken into account. Some ray tracing and reconstruction methods are compared then implemented and tested on simulated objects. Finally, reconstructed images are displayed.
KeywordsSpline Interpolation Bilinear Interpolation Discrete Integration Kaczmarz Method Rectilinear Propagation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.C. Kak, Computerized tomography with X-ray, emission, and ultrasound sources, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 67, n°9, sept. 1979, pp.1245–1272.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Gordon and G.T. Hermann, Three-dimensional reconstruction from projections: a review of algorithms, International Review of Citology, G.H. Bourne and J.R. Danielli eds, vol.38, Acad. Press, New-York, 1973.Google Scholar
- 3.C.V. Jakowatz and A.C. Kak, Computerized Tomographic imaging using X-Rays and ultrasound, School of Electrical Engineering, Purdue univ., west Lafayette, Indiana, Technical Report TREE, 76–26, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.J.F. Greenleaf, Computerized tomography with ultrasound, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 71, N°3, March 1983, pp.330–337.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Peyrin, C. Odet, P. Fleischmann, and M. Perdrix, Mapping of internal material temperature with ultrasonic computed Tomography, Ultrason. Imag., July 1983, Halifax, conference proceedings, pp.31–36.Google Scholar
- 7.J.F. Greenleaf, Computerized transmission tomography, in: Methods of experimental physics, vol.19, Ultrasonics, P.D. Edmonds ED, Academic Press, New-York, 1981, pp.563–589.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Schomberg, Non linear image reconstruction from projection of ultrasonic travel times and electric current densities, Mathematical aspects of computerized tomography, G.T. Herman, F. Natterer ed., New-York, Springer, 1981.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Schomberg, Non linear image reconstruction from ultrasonic time of flight projections, Acoustical imaging, P. Alais, A.F. Metherell ed., New-York, Plenum Press, 1982, pp.381–396.Google Scholar
- 12.S.A. Johnson, J.F. Greenleaf, W.A. Samayoa, F.A. Duck, and J. Sjostrand, Reconstruction of three dimensional velocity fields and other parameters by acoustic ray tracing, Ultrasonics symposium proceedings, IEEE, cat 75, CHO 994, 4SU, 1975.Google Scholar
- 16.R. Gordon, A tutorial on ART, IEEE Trans. on Nuclear Science, Juin 1974, NS-21, pp.78–93.Google Scholar