Transducer Array for Ultrasound Holographic B-Scan Imaging
A 128 element transducer array with 64 PZT ceramic transmitter elements and 64 PVDF polymer receiver elements is described. The array is working at a frequency of 4 MHz and it has been constructed with the requirements of the ultrasound holographic B-scan (UHB) imaging in mind. The most important of these requirements are high sensitivity and a wide angular response in the azimuth plane. The sensitivity of the PVDF receiver elements of the prototype array, however, was found to be nearly 7 dB less when the response from an electrically tuned PVDF element was compared to the response from an untuned PZT element of the same array as a receiver.
KeywordsAcoustic Impedance Cross Coupling Neighbouring Element Tungsten Powder PVDF Film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Alasaarela, K. Tervola, J. Ylitalo and J. Koivukangas, UHB imaging, in: “Acoustical Imaging, Vol. 12,” E.A. Ash et al., ed,, Plenum Press, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Alasaarela, “Ultrasound holographic B (UHB) imaging,” doctoral thesis, University of Oulu, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.A.R. Selfridge, G.S. Kino and B.T. Khuri-Yakub, “A theory for the radiation pattern of a narrow strip acoustic transducer,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 37 (1), July 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Sato, M. Kawabuchi and A. Fukumoto, “Depedence of the electromechanical coupling on the width-to-thickness ratio of plank-shaped piezoelectric transducers used for electronically scanned ultrasound diagnostic systems,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 66 (6), December 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.G.S. Kino and C.S. DeSilets, “Design of slotted transducer arrays with matched backings,” Ultrasonic Imaging 1, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.D.G. Weinstein, “Polyvinylidine fluoride acoustic transducers and imaging arrays,” doctoral thesis, Stanford University, October 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Granz, A linear monolithic receiving array of PVDF transducers for transmission cameras, in; “Acoustical Imaging, Vol. 12,” E.A. Ash et al., ed., Plenum Press, New York 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.H.G. Nguyen, P. Hartemann and D. Broussoux, Single element and array PVF2 transducers for acoustic imaging, in: “1982 Ultrasonics Symposium Proc,” B.R. McAvoy, ed., IEEE, New York 1982.Google Scholar