Diffusion of a Small Molecule in the Aqueous Compartment of Mammalian Cells
Cell biologists, biochemists, biophysicists, and other life scientists who study the mammalian cell are in general concerned with the basic questions, What is the cell made of? How does it work? In order to answer these questions, scientists are continuing to develop new techniques and approaches which are revealing a variety of information. It is interesting that some of this information remains buried, only to be rediscovered a decade or so later as new or even old models of cell structure and function are proposed (see Conklin, 1940, for an historical review).
KeywordsElectron Spin Resonance Apparent Viscosity Translational Motion Electron Spin Resonance Signal Spin Label
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Conklin, E.G., 1940, Cell and protoplasm concepts: historical account, In: The Cell and Protoplasm, F.R. Moulton, ed., The Science Press, Washington, D. C.Google Scholar
- Geiger, B., Kreis, T.E., Avnur, Z. and Schlessinger, J., Cell and Muscle Motility, 1985, in press.Google Scholar
- Gershon, N., Porter, K. and Trus, B., 1983, The micro trabecular lattice and the cytoskeleton, their volume, surface area and the diffusion of molecules through it, In: Biological Structures and Coupled Flows, A. Oplatka and M. Balaban, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, A.L., and Keynes, R.D., 1956, Experiments on the injection of substances into squid giant axons by means of a micro syringe, J. Phygiol., 131:592.Google Scholar
- Horowitz, S.B., Fenichel, I.R., Hoffman, B., Kollmann, G., and Shapiro, B. 1970, The intracellular transport and distribution of cysteamine phosphate derivatives, Biophvs. 10:944.Google Scholar
- Keith, A.D. and Mastro, A.M., Cell and water viscosity, in Biomembranes, Methods in Enzvmology, L. Packer, ed., in press.Google Scholar
- Keith, A.D., Mastro, A.M., and Snipes, W., 1979, Diffusion relationships between cellular plasma membrane and cytoplasm, In: Low Temperature Stress in Crop Plants, J. Lyons and J. Raison, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Mastro, A., and Keith, U, 1981, Spin label viscosity studies of mammalian cell cytoplasm, In: The Transformed Cell, I. Cameron and T. Pool, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Paine, P.L. and Horowitz, S.B., 1980, The movement of material between nucleus and cytoplasm,.In: Cell Biology: A Comprehensive Treatise, D.M. Prescott and L. Goldstein, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Porter, K.R. and Tucker, J.B., 1981, The ground substance of living cells, Sci. Am., 244(3):57.Google Scholar
- Porter, K.R., Boggs, D.P., and Anderson, K.L., 1982, The distribution of water in the cytoplasm, 40th Annual Proceedings of the Electron Microscope Socioty M lusriss, 4–7.Google Scholar