Organization of Enzymes in the Tryptophan Pathway
The reactions which constitute the pathway for tryptophan biosynthesis exhibit an unusual degree of organizational diversity throughout the biological world. The component reactions of this pathway, including those involved in general aromatic biosynthesis, are organized in different patterns of multifunctional complexes; and this diversity is reflected in specific patterns of gene-enzyme relationships. Some of the first reported examples of multifunctional proteins and channelling of intermediates between active sites in multifunctional proteins were uncovered by the extensive biochemical and genetic studies of this pathway. To illustrate the organization of active sites in multifunctional protein complexes, I will review several well-defined examples from this pathway. In this review my emphasis will be on the current status of our understanding of the structure of multifunctional enzymes and the possible functional role of enzyme organization within this pathway.
KeywordsPolypeptide Chain Pyridoxal Phosphate Lower Eucaryote Tryptophan Biosynthesis Tryptophan Pathway
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arroyo-Begovitch A. and DeMoss, J.A., 1973, J. Biol. Chem. 248:1262.Google Scholar
- Berlyn, M.B. and Giles, N.H., 1969, J. Bacterid., 99:222.Google Scholar
- Bisswanger, H., Kirschner, K., Cohn, W., Hager, V., and Hansen, E., 1979, Piophemigtry, 18:5946.Google Scholar
- Bonner, D.M., DeMoss, J.A. and Mills, S.E., 1965, In: “Evolving Genes and Proteins”, V. Bryson and H.J. Vogel, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Bonner, D.M., Suyama, Y. and DeMoss, J.A., 1960, Fed. Proc., 19:926.Google Scholar
- Chalmer, J.H. and DeMoss, J.A., 1970, Genetics. 65:213.Google Scholar
- Crawford, I.P., 1974, in: “Subunit Enzymes”, K. Ebner, ed., Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Hütter, R., Niederberger, P. and DeMoss, J.A., 1986, Ann. Rev. Microbiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Shechtman, M. and Yanofsky, C., 1983, J. Mol. APPI. Gent., 2:83.Google Scholar
- Smith, O., 1967, Qenetigs, 57:95.Google Scholar
- Yanofsky, C. and Crawford, I.P., 1972, in: “The Enzymes”, Vol. 7, P.D. Boyer, ed., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Zalkin, H. and Yanofsky, C., 1981, J. Biol. Chem. 257:1491.Google Scholar