Understanding the Organization of Cell Metabolism in Early Embryonic Systems: Developmental Implications
Although early in this century the study of cell metabolism in developmental systems was a major concern (e.g,, see Needham, 1931, 1942; Willier et al., 1955), the current surge of molecular biology has shifted the interest of the majority of developmental biochemists to the study of the regulation of gene expression during development. Without discussing the obvious conceptual and historical reasons behind such change, this virtual elimination of a formerly fashionable subject has left many unanswered questions, if not for other reasons, as a consequence of the limited technical and conceptual potentiality of biochemistry half a century ago.
KeywordsEarly Embryo Mature Oocyte Early Embryonic Development Yolk Granule Lipid Yolk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balinsky, B.L and Fabian, B.C., 1981, “An Introduction to Embryology” (5th ed.), Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Brow der, L.W., 1984, “Developmental Biology” (2nd ed.), Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Davidson, E.H., 1976, “Gene Activity in Early Development”, Academic, New York.Google Scholar
- Daw id, I.B., 1970, Cytoplasmic DNA, In: “Oogenesis”, J.D. Biggers and A.W. Schuetz, eds., University Park Press, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Ezquieta, B. and Vallejo, C.G., 1986, The trypsin-like proteinase of Artemia, Yolk localization and developmental activation, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Fallon, J.F. and Crosby, G.M., 1977, Polarizing zone activity in limb buds of amniotes, In: “Vertebrate Limb and Somite Morphogenesis”, D.A. Ede, J.A. Hinchcliff, and M. Balls, eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Marco, R., Batuecas, B. and Garesse, R., 1983, Mitochondrial storage in Drosophila melanogagter yolk granules, Eighth European Drosophila Research Conference?, XXx CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Marco, R., Garesse, R. and Vallejo, C.G., 1981, Storage of mitochondria in the yolk platelets of Artemia dormant gastrulae, Cell. Mol. Biol.,27:515.Google Scholar
- Needham, J., 1931, “Chemical Embryology”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Needham, J., 1942, “Biochemistry and Morphogenesis”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Willier, B.H., Weiss, P.A. and Hamburger, V., eds., 1955, “Analysis of Development”, Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar