Tutorial Lecture — Radiative and Collisional Processes in Plasmas
Plasmas of moderate temperatures, say less than 105 K (~ 9 eV), and particle densities, say less than 1019 cm-3, occur in a fair number of devices. They are therefore of considerable interest, notwithstanding the fact that higher temperature plasmas have attracted more attention because of their importance for magnetically confined fusion plasmas. As a matter of fact, plasma conditions as desired for inertially confined fusion plasmas seem even more interesting because of their much higher densities and the importance of electromagnetic radiation for their behavior and diagnostics.
KeywordsLocal Thermodynamic Equilibrium Dielectronic Recombination Population Balance Equation Collisional Excitation Collisional Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, J. B., Maya, J., Grossman, M. W., Lagushenko, R., and Vaymouth, J. F., 1985, Phys. Rev., A31:2968.Google Scholar
- Eletsky, A. V. and Smirnov, B. M. 1983, Ch. 1.2 in: “Handbook of Plasma Physics”, Rosenbluth, M. N. and Sagdeev, R. Z., eds., “Volume 1: Basic Plasma Physics I”, Galeev, A. A. and Sudan, R. N., eds., North Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Griem, H. R., 1964, “Plasma Spectroscopy”, McGraw-Hill, New York; Univ. Microfilms International 212 00000 7559, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Griem, H. R., 1974, “Spectral Line Broadening by Plasmas”, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Griem, H. R., 1983, Ch. 1.3, in: “Handbook of Plasma Physics”, Rosenbluth, M. N., and Sagdeev, R. Z., eds., “Volume 1: Basic Plasma Physics I,” Galeev, A. A., and Sudan, R. N., eds., North Holland Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Kunze, H. J., 1985 (in these Proceedings).Google Scholar
- Mason, H. E., 1975, Monthly Notic. Roy. Astron. Soc., 170:651.Google Scholar
- Mihalas, D., 1978, “Stellar Atmospheres”, 2nd edition, Freeman, San Francisco.; see also Mihalas, D. and Mihalas, B. V., 1984, “Foundations of Radiation Hydrodynamics”, Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Omidvar, K., 1982, Phys. Rev. A26:3053.Google Scholar
- Thomson, J. J., 1912, Phil. Mag. 23:419.Google Scholar
- Wiese, W. L. and Martin, G. A., 1980, “Wavelengths and Transition Probabilities for Atoms and Atomic Ions,” NSRDS-NBS, US Govt. Printing Office, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar