A Therapeutic Trial of a Thymic Factor in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Previous studies supported the hypothesis that some immunological abnormalities might be involved in the pathogenesis of ALS. On this basis some therapeutic trials have been attempted with various immunomodulating agents such as isoprinosine[1,2] levamisole, transfer factor and interferon. Other therapeutic trials, which have been based on the assumption that ALS may be considered an autoimmune disease, have used immunosuppressor drugs such as azathiopurine, methotrexate and cytotosine-arabinoside. No significant results were described in any of these studies.
KeywordsAmyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Patient Therapeutic Trial Transfer Factor Motor Neuron Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. R. Olarte, Therapeutic trials in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in: “Human Motor Neuron Diseases,” L. P. Rowland, ed., Raven Press, New York, pp. 555–567 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.F. H. Norris, The riddle of positive immune system findings in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in: “Clinical Neuroimmunology,” Clifford Rose, ed., Blackwell Scientific Publications, pp. 245–258 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.J. P. Antel, Immunology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in: “Human Motor Neuron Diseases,” L. P. Rowland, eds., Raven Press, New York, pp. 395–402 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.P. C. Doherty, Cell-mediated immunity and the CNS: a key role for gamma interferon, T.I.N.S., 11: 41–42 (1985).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Goldstein, G. B. Thurman, G. Cohen, and J. Hooper, Thymosin: Chemistry, biology and clinical applications, in: “Biological Activity of Thymic Hormone,” D. Von Bekkum, ed., Kooyer Sci.Pubi., Rotterdam (1974).Google Scholar
- 14.P. A. Tovo and P. Nicola, TP1 Therapy in patients with secondary immunodeficiencies, in: “Thymus, Thymic Hormones and T Lymphocytes,” Aiuti and Wigzell, eds., Academic Press, London (1980).Google Scholar
- 15.L. Businco, Therapy with Tpl of viral diseases in immunodeficient patients, in: “Thymus, Thymic Hormones and T Lymphocytes,” Aiuti and Wigzell, eds., Academic Press, London (1980).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Nicola, Effetti della terapia con TP1 in due pazienti conencefalite morbillosa, Immunol.Pediatr., IX: 40 (1980).Google Scholar