Part of the Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series (AEMB, volume 209)
The Pathogenetic Role of Metals in Motor Neuron Disease — The Participation of Aluminum
Among possible causative factors, an association of metal(s) and motor neuron disease (MND) has been repeatedly reported since Aran’s description on lead intoxication with amyotrophy in 1850.
KeywordsAmyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Motor Neuron Disease Anterior Horn Motor Neuron Disease Central Nervous System Tissue
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. A. Aran, Recherches sur une maladie non encore decrite du system musculaire: atrophie musculaire progressive, Arch.Gen.Med 24: 172–214 (1850).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Yanagihara, Heavy metals and essential minerals in motor neuron disease, in: “Human Motor Neuron Diseases,” L. P. Rowland, ed., Raven Press, New York, pp. 233–247 (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.R. M. Garruto, R. Yanagihara, D. C. Gajdusek, and D. M. Arion, Concentrations of trace and essential elements in garden soil and drinking water in the Western Pacific, in: “Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in Asia and Oceania,” Y. Yase and K-M. Che, eds., Taipei, National Taiwan University Press, pp. 265–330 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Yase, The basic process of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis as reflected in Kii Peninsula and Guam, Proc. 11th World Congress of Neurology, Amsterdam, pp. 413–427 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Yoshimasu, Y. Uebayashi, Y. Yase, S. Iwata, and K. Sasajima, Studies on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis by neuton activation analysis, Folia Psychiat.Neurol. Jpn., 30: 49–55 (1976).Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Yase, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and metallic metabolisms, Brain and Nerve (Jap), 34: 7–15 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Yase, The role of aluminum in CNS degeneration with interaction of calcium, Neurotoxicology, 1: 101–109 (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.S. Yoshida, Y. Uebayashi, Y. Yase, S. Iwata, H. Yoshida, and Y. Mizumoto, Trace metal analysis in spinal cord of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with special reference to neurofibrillary pathology, 26th Annual Meeting of Neurology, Japan, Abstract 87. (1985).Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1987