Computer-Assisted Prediction of Toxicity
By using statistical structure-activity relationship (SAR) models of toxicological endpoints, it is possible to estimate the expected toxicity from structural and physical characteristics of untested chemicals. Thus, these models can be used for setting testing and developmental priorities, obtaining additional information on given compounds, and, to a lesser degree, determining what substructural factors are most involved in a particular toxicological effect.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Enslein, K. 1980. Statistical estimates of toxicological and other biological endpoints using structure-activity relationships. Poster Paper at 1st SETAC Conference, Washington ,D.C., 25 November 1980.Google Scholar
- Enslein, K., and P. N. Craig. 1978. A toxicity estimation model. J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. 2:115–132.Google Scholar
- Enslein, K., H. S. Wilf, and A. Ralston, eds. 1977. Chapters 4 and 5 in Statistical Methods for Digital Computers. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Free, S. M., and J. W. Wilson. 1964. A mathematical contribution to structure and activity studies. J. Med. Chem. 1:295–399.Google Scholar
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. 1972–1978. Monographs on the Evaluation of the Car cinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans ,Volumes 1–17. International Agency for Research on Cancer ,Lyon.Google Scholar
- Lewis, R. J., Sr., ed. 1978. Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, Ohio.Google Scholar
- Marquardt, D. W., and R. D. Snee. 1975. Ridge regression in practice. Am. Statistician 29:3–20.Google Scholar
- Purcell, W. P., G. E. Bass, and J. M. Clayton. 1973. Strategy of Drug Design-A Guide to Biological Activity. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Schardein, J. L. 1976. Drugs as Teratogens. CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio.Google Scholar
- Shepard, I. H. 1980. Catalog of Teratogenic Agents ,3rd ed. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore ,Maryland.Google Scholar
- Siegel, S. 1956. Pp. 127–136 in Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Smith, I. A., G. D. Berger, P. G. Seybold, and M. P. Serve. 1978. Relationships between carcinogenicity and theoretical reactivity indices in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Cancer Res. 38:2968–2977.Google Scholar