X-Ray Analysis of Polypeptide Hormones at ≦1Å Resolution: Anisotropic Thermal Motion and Secondary Structure of Pancreatic Polypeptide and Deamino-Oxytocin
Polypeptide hormones are synthesised as larger precursors and stored in endocrine cells from which they are released into the circulation in response to peptide factors, metabolite levels and other agents. At target tissues they bind specific cell surface receptors which give rise to intracellular secondary effects such as changes in the levels of cAMP, tyrosine phosphorylation, etc. Their degradation is rapid and is often mediated by internalisation of the hormone-receptor complex. The role of the conformation of polypeptide hormones during this complex series of events may help in our understanding of the various processes at the molecular level.
KeywordsPancreatic Polypeptide Disulphide Bridge Polypeptide Hormone Specific Cell Surface Receptor Large Precursor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blundell, T.L. and Wood, S.P. (1982) Ann.Rev.Biochem. 51123–154Google Scholar
- Blundell, T.L., Pitts, J.E., Tickle, I.J., Wood, S.P. and Wu, W-C. (1981) Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci. USA 78 4175–4180Google Scholar
- Glickson, J.D. (1975) in Peptides: Chemistry, Structure and Biology (eds. Walter, R. and Meienhofer, J.) Ann Arbor Science Publ., Michigan pp787–802Google Scholar
- Haneef, I., Moss, D.S., Stanford, M.J. and Borkakoti, N. (1985) Acta Cryst. A41 426–433Google Scholar
- Hirschfield, F.L. (1976) Acta Cryst. A32 239–244Google Scholar
- Hruby, V.J. (1981) in Topics in Molecular Pharmacology (eds. Burgen, A.S.V. and Roberts, G.C.K.) North Holland, Amsterdam pp100–126Google Scholar
- Pitts, J.E., Wood, S.P. and Blundell, T.L. (1983) CRC Crit.Rev.Biochem. 13 141–213Google Scholar
- Schomaker, V. and Trueblood, K.n. (1968) Acta Cryst. B24 63–76Google Scholar
- Schwyzer, R.J. (1973) J.Mondial. Pharm. 3. 254–260Google Scholar
- Treharne, A.C., Haneef, I. and Blundell, T.L. (1985) this volumeGoogle Scholar
- Wood, S.P., Tickle, I.J., Treharne, A.C., Pitts, J.E., Mascarenhas, Y., Li, J-Y., Husain, J., Cooper, S., Blundell, T.L., Hruby, V.J., Wyssbrod, H.R., Buku, A. and Fischman, A.J. (1985) Science, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Wyssbrod, H.R., Ballardin, A., Gibbons, W.A., Roy, J., Schwartz, I.L. and Walter, R. (1975) in Peptides: Chemistry, Structure and Biology (eds.Walter, R. and Meienhofer, J.) Ann Arbor Science Publ., Michigan pp8l5-820Google Scholar