Synthesis and Degradation of Lipid Bodies in the Scutella of Maize
Most seeds contain storage lipids in the form of triacylglycerols, which usually comprise 20–50% of the total seed dry weight (1, 2, 3, 4). This lipid reserve is synthesized during seed maturation, and is rapidly mobilized to provide energy and carbon skeleton for the growth of the embryo during germination. The triacylglycerols are densely packed in subcellular organelles called lipid bodies (oleosomes, spherosomes, oil bodies). The spherical lipid body is about 0.5–1 μm in diameter, and is surrounded by a “half-unit” membrane of one monolayer of phospholipids about 3 nm thickness (5). The fatty acyl moieties of the membrane phospholipids are believed to orient themselves toward the matrix so that they can form hydrophobic interaction with the internal triacylglycerols.
KeywordsSucrose Magnesium Glycerol Maize Lipase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Appelqvist LA. 1975. In Recent Advances in the Chemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Lipids. Galliard T, Mercer EI, eds. Academic Press, London, pp 247–283.Google Scholar
- 2.Gurr MI. 1980. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. Academic Press, New York. Vol 4. pp 205–248.Google Scholar
- 4.Stymme S. 1987. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. Academic Press, New York. Vol. 9. (in press).Google Scholar
- 6.Schwarzenbach AM. 1971. Cytobiologie 4: 145–147.Google Scholar
- 11.Cao YZ, Huang AHC. 1986. Plant Physiol. (in press)Google Scholar
- 16.Vance VB, Huang AHC. (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 17.Galliard T. 1980. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. Academic Press, New York, Vol 4, pp. 85–116.Google Scholar
- 18.Huang AHC. 1983. In Lipases. Brockman HL, Borgstrom B., eds. Elsevier Press, Amsterdam. pp. 419–442.Google Scholar
- 19.Huang AHC. 1987. In the Biochemistry of Plants. Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. Academic Press, New York, Vol 9 (in press).Google Scholar
- 23.Wang SM, Huang AHC. (in preparation)Google Scholar