Hypothyroidism Inhibits the Rapid Response of mRNA-S14 to Carbohydrate Feeding
The hormonal and metabolic regulation of hepatic lipogenic enzymes has been under intense investigation for a number of years. These enzymes, and their respective mRNAs, are influenced both by thyroid hormone, as well as those hormones and compounds involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates (1–4). We have recently demonstrated a synergistic relationship between T3 and carbohydrates in the regulation of several of these enzymes (5), and have used translational assays to demonstrate that this interaction is reflected by the activity of the specific mRNA coding for the enzyme (6–8).
KeywordsThyroid Hormone Hepatocyte Culture Orotic Acid Guanidine Thiocyanate Hypothyroid Animal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Mariash CN, Kaiser FE, Schwartz HL, et al. J Clin Invest 65: 1739, 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Towle HC, Liaw C, and Narayan P. J Cell Biochem Suppl 6: 299, 1982.Google Scholar
- 11.Jump DB and Oppenheimer JH. Endocrinology (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Mariash CN and Schwartz HL. Metabolism (in press).Google Scholar
- 15.Mariash CN and Oppenheimer JH. Mol Cell Endo (in press).Google Scholar