Exposure-Based Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Behavioral treatments based on the exposure principle play a major role in the management of anxiety disorders, notably those in which recurrent avoidance is a feature, as in phobic and obsessivecompulsive disorders. The therapeutic principles have been around for millenia and are rooted in common sense. In the past two decades they have been welded together into a potent therapeutic technology that can relieve many formerly untreatable conditions and hold promise for further advance.
KeywordsAnxiety Disorder Panic Attack Exposure Treatment Exposure Therapy Sedative Drug
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bond, D. D. (1952). The love and fear of flying. New York: International Universities Press.Google Scholar
- Boulougouris, J. C. (1981). Learning theory approaches in psychiatry. Oxford: Pergamon.Google Scholar
- Emmelkamp, P. M. G., & Rabbie, D. (1981). Psychological treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorders: A follow-up 4 years after treatment. In B. Jansson, C. Perris, & G. Struwe (Eds.), Biological psychiatry. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Havik, O. E. (1979). Patient information and education as an intervention in physical illness. Review of outcome research. In Proceedings of Conference on Cost-Efficiency Analysis in Clinical Psychology, Norway: Geilo.Google Scholar
- Marks, I. M. (1975). Behavioral treatments of phobic and obsessive-compulsive disorders: A critical appraisal. In M. Hersen (Ed.), Progress in behavior modification (Vol, 1, pp. 66–158). New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Marks, I. M. (1978). Living with fear. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Marks, I. M. (1981). Cure and care of neuroses. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Marks, I. M. (1985). Nurse therapists in primary care: A controlled study. Royal College of Nursing.Google Scholar
- Mathews, A. M., Gelder, M., & Johnston, D. (1982). Agoraphobia: Nature and treatment. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Sloane, R. B., Staples, F. R., Cristol, A. H., Yorkston, N. J., & Whipple, K. (1975). Psychotherapy versus behavior therapy. London: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar