Training in Menstrual Regulation: The Philippine Experience
The Philippines with its 54 million inhabitants, is 80 percent Catholic and 15 percent belong to various sects or denominiations which oppose abortion in any form. Abortion is illegal and the government is straightforward in its policy statement for the Philippine population program: “all acceptable methods of contraception, except abortion, will be provided for acceptors to choose from.” Pregnancy termination, even as a back-up method for contraceptive failure, is not acceptable. This policy exists despite our findings in 1980 that contraceptive effectiveness was only around 71 percent, while the contraceptive prevalence rate was estimated at 41 percent.
KeywordsFamily Planning Contraceptive Failure Effective Contraceptive Method Contraceptive Prevalence Rate Filipino Woman
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cook, R., Senanayake, P. (eds.). The human problem of abortion. Medical and legal dimensions. IPPF Medical Bulletin, February, p. 12, 1978.Google Scholar
- Gallen, M. Abortion Practices in the Philippines: An Exploratory Study Among Clients and Practitioners, Circa 1979. A Research project sponsored by the International Committee on Applied Research in Population (ICARP), May 1980.Google Scholar
- Gallen, M. Abortion choices in the Philippines. Journal of Biosocial Science 2(3):281, 1979.Google Scholar
- Maranon, A., et al. Compiled Studies on Voluntary Interruption of Pregnancy (VIP) in the Philippines: 1978-1982, (Mimeo), A Joint Research of the Menstrual Regulation and Fertility Center and Southern Mindanao Agricultural Research Center of the University of Southern Mindanao, April 1983.Google Scholar
- Valenzuela, A. V. Abortion in Filipino women: Phase I—abortion in a Philippine municipality, Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Journal of the Philippine Medical Association 46:655, 1970.Google Scholar
- Valenzuela, A. V., Jara, I. D. Abortion in two Philippine hospitals. Journal of the Philippine Medical Association 54 (11/12):379, Nov.-Dec. 1978.Google Scholar
- Valenzuela, et al. Pregnancy Termination Study in Philippine Hospitals in Five Health Regions, Metro Manila: Population Center Foundation, 1982.Google Scholar