Some Lessons from the United States Experience with Legal Abortion
A decision of the U.S. Supreme Court made abortion legal throughout the U.S.A. in 1973 (Roe v. Wade, 1973). Prior to this time, only a few states, most notably New York, allowed legal abortion with few restrictions. In most states, legal abortions were limited to those women who could convince panels of physicians that their physical or mental illness was severe. In consequence, many illegal abortions were still performed (Legge, 1985).
KeywordsAbortion Service Legal Abortion Uterine Atony Uterine Perforation Trimester Abortion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burnhill, M. S., Armstead, J. W. Reducing the morbidity of vacuum aspiration abortion. Int. J. Gynecol. & Obstet. 16:204, 1978.Google Scholar
- Grimes, D. A., Schulz, K. F., Cates, W. Jr., et al. Midtrimester abortion by dilatation and evacuation: A safe and practical alternative. Int. J. Gynecol. & Obstet. 296:1141, 1977.Google Scholar
- Hern, W. M. Abortion Practice. J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, 1984.Google Scholar
- Hogue, C. J. R., Cates, W. Jr., Tietze, C. The effects of induced abortion on subsequent reproduction. Epid. Review 4:66, 1982.Google Scholar
- Karman, H., Potts, M. Very early abortion using the syringe as vacuum source. Lancet 1:7759, 1972.Google Scholar
- Legge, J. S. Abortion Policy: An Evaluation of the Consequences for Maternal and Infant Health. State University of New York Press, Albany, 1985.Google Scholar
- Peterson, H. B., Grimes, D. A., Cates, W. Jr., et al. Comparative risk of death from induced abortion at 12 weeks or less gestation performed with local versus general anesthesia. Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 141:763, 1981.Google Scholar
- Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113, 1973.Google Scholar
- Shulz, K. F., Grimes, D. A., Park, T., et al. Prophylactic antibiotics to prevent febrile complications of curettage abortion. Paper presented at the 8th annual meeting of the National Abortion Federation, Los Angeles, California, May 15th, 1984.Google Scholar
- Stubblefield, P. G. Current technology for abortion. Curr. Prob. Obstet. Gynecol. 2:1, 1978.Google Scholar
- Stubblefield, P. G. Midtrimester abortion for curettage procedures: An overview. In J. E. Hodgson, ed., Abortion and Sterilization: Medical and Social Aspects, p. 277, Academic Press, London, Grune and Stratton, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- Tietze, C., Lewit, S. Joint program for the study of abortion (JPSA): Early medical complications for legal abortion. Stud. Fam. Plan. 3:96, 1972.Google Scholar