Possible Evidence of Deterministic Chaos for the Sinusoidally-Driven Weakly-Bound Electron
The theoretical search for quantum chaos in deterministic Hamiltonian systems has recently concentrated on two types of problems. The stationary states of autonomous two-dimensional classically—stochastic nonlinear systems have been investigated, examples being the Henon-Heiles model of two coupled one-dimensional anharmonic oscillators, and the bound electron in a strong static magnetic field (Harada and Hasegawa, 1983; Hose et al., 1985). Although the onset of classical stochastic behavior has been associated theoretically with changes in the quantum spectra of such systems, quantum calculations within their irregular regions have been hampered by a lack of convergence that may be characteristic of such stationary state problems.
KeywordsMicrowave Absorption Microwave Field Rydberg Atom Quantum Chaos Irregular Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bardsley, J.N., Sundaram, B., Pinnaduwage, L. A., and Bayfield, J. E., 1985, Quantum Dynamics for Driven Weakly Bound Electrons near the Threshold for Classical Chaos, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Chang, S.-J., and Shi, K.-J., 1985, Time Evolution and Eigenstates of a Quantum Iterative System, Phys. Rev. Lett. 55:269.Google Scholar
- Harada, A. and Hasegawa, H., 1983, Correspondence between Classical and Quantum Chaos for Hydrogen in a Uniform Magnetic Field, J. Phys. A. l6:L259.Google Scholar
- Jensen, R. V., 1984, Stochastic Ionization of Surface-state Electrons: Classical Theory, Phys. Rev. A 30:386.Google Scholar
- Jensen, R. V., 1985a, Stochastic Ionization of Electrically Polarized Hydrogen Rydberg Atoms, Phys. Rev. Lett. 54:2057.Google Scholar
- Jensen, R. V., 1985b, private communication.Google Scholar
- Kleppner, D., Laboratory Studies of Rydberg Atoms, in: “Radio Recombination Lines,” P. Shaver, ed., Reidel Publ. Co., (1980).Google Scholar
- Pinnaduwage, L. A., and Bayfield, J. E., 1985, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Shepelyansky, D. L., Quantum Diffusion Limitation at Excitation of Rydberg Atom in Variable Field, in: “Chaotic Behavior in Quantum Systems,” G. Casati, ed., Plenum, New York (1985).Google Scholar