HMGR (3-Hydroxy, 3-Methylglutaryl-CoA Reductase) Activity of Cultured Rat Brain Cells: Sensitivity to n-3 and n-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs) from Cod-Liver and Sunflower Oils
It is currently assumed that 14C-acetate incorporation into sterols, and HMGR activity are similar from fetal life to new-born and adult ages. However, both the cholesterol synthesis and the HMGR activity show changing patterns, growing in fetal life, very low at birth and rising after weaning — likely responding to regulation of cholesterol synthesis in mammary gland (Gibbons and Pullinger, 1983). Cholesterol and mevalonate are very active in the regulation of HMGR, but regulation is not noticeable before birth (Leoni et al., 1985) — at least, in the freshly isolated hepatocytes. Other cellular constituents may have regulatory action (Grinstead et al,, 1983), phenomenon already described as per various tissues.
KeywordsOleic Acid Brain Cell Cholesterol Synthesis Fetal Life MEVALONIC Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gibbons, G.F. and Pullinger, C.R., 1985, 4th Int. Meeting on HMG-CoA Reductase, Breukelen, NL, A 14.Google Scholar
- Grundt, I.K. and Raulin, J., 1984, 25th Int. Conf. Biochem. Lipids, Antwerp, Belgium, P 71.Google Scholar
- Grundt, I.K., Loriette, C., Lapous, D. and Raulin, J., 1985, Lípidforum, 13th Scand. Symposium on Lipids, Reykjavik, IS, Proceedings, in press.Google Scholar
- Lehrer, G., Panini, S.R., Rogers, D.H. and Rudney, H., 1981, J. Biol. Chem., 268: 5612–5619.Google Scholar
- Leoni, S., Morgiantini, M.T., Spagnuolo, S., Conti de Virgiliis, L., Valbonesi, M. and Trentalance, A., 1985, 4th Int. Meeting on HMG-CoA Reductase, Breukelen, NL, A 22.Google Scholar
- Raulin, J., Loriette, C., Launay, M. Lapous, D. Goureau-Counis, M.F., Counis, R. and Carreau, J.P., 1973, in: The Regulation of Adipose Tissue Mass, Vague, J. and Boyer, J., Eds, Excerpta Med., Amsterdam, NL, pp. 32–34.Google Scholar
- Raulin, J., Loriette, C., Lapous, D., Wolfrom, C., Polini, G.and Gautier,M., 1983b, in:Fats for the Future, Brooker, S.G., Ed., Duromark Publ., Auckland, NZ, pp. 125–127.Google Scholar
- Raulin, J., Loriette, C., Lapous, D. Wolfrom, C. and Gautier, M., 1985, Journées du G.E.R.L.I., Orsay, France, C 3.Google Scholar