Impaired Maturation of Peroxisomal ß-oxidation Enzymes in Fibroblasts from Patients with the Zellweger Syndrome and Infantile Refsum Disease
In 1973, Goldfischer et al.1 discovered that morphologically distinct peroxisomes are absent in liver and kidney of patients with the cerebrohepato-renal (Zellweger) syndrome, an inherited disease usually leading to death within the first year of life. Peroxisomes are also greatly reduced in number in cultured skin fibroblasts from patients with the classic form of the Zellweger syndrome2. The deficiency of peroxisomes is accompanied by a number of biochemical abnormalities, including an accumulation in tissues and/or body fluids of very long chain fatty acids3 and a deficiency in tissues of plasmalogens4. These biochemical abnormalities are in accordance with recent findings showing that peroxisomes play an essential role in the oxidation of very long chain fatty acids5 and biosynthesis of ether phospholipids6.
KeywordsBiochemical Abnormality Dihydroxyacetone Phosphate Culture Skin Fibroblast Zellweger Syndrome Peroxisomal Enzyme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.F. R. Brown, A. J. McAdams, J. W. Cummins, R. Konkol, I. Singh, A. B. Moser and H. W. Moser, Cerebro-hepato-renal (Zellweger) syndrome and neonatal adrenaleukodystrophy: similarities in phenotype and accumulation of very long chain fatly acids., Johns Hopkins Med. J. 151: 344 (1981)Google Scholar
- 7.J. M. Tager, W. A. Ten Harmsen van der Beek, R. J. A. Wanders, T. Hashimoto, H. S. A. Heymans, H. Van den Bosch, R. B. H. Schutgens and A. W. Schram, Peroxisomal ß-oxidation enzyme proteins in the Zellweger syndrome., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 89: 1735 (1985)Google Scholar
- 8.T. Osumi, T. Hashimoto and N. Ui, Purification and properties of acyl-CoA oxidase from rat liver., J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 87: 1735 (1980)Google Scholar
- 10.S. Miyazawa, S. Furuta, T. Osumi, T. Hashimoto and N. Ui, Properties of peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase from rat-liver., J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 90: 511 (1981)Google Scholar
- 13.R. J. A. Wanders, R. B. H. Schutgens, G. Schrakamp, H. Van den Bosch, J. M. Tager, A. W. Schram, T. Hashimoto, B.T. Poll-Thé and J. M. Saudubray, Infantile Ref sum’s disease: absence of catalase containing particles (peroxisomes), acyl-CoA: dihydroxyacetone phosphate acyltransferase and acyl-CoA oxidase protein., Eur. J. Pediatr. in press (1985)Google Scholar
- 16.R. J. A. Wanders, M. Kos, B. Roest, A. J. Meijer, G. Schrakamp, H. S. A. Heymans, W. H. H. Tegelaers, H. Van den Bosch, R. B. H. Schutgens and J. M. Tager, Activity of peroxisomal enzymes and intracellular distribution of catalase in Zellweger syndrome., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 123: 1054 (1984)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar