Mechanisms and Regulation of TSH Glycosylation
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) is a glycoprotein composed of two noncovalently linked subunits, α and β. The structure of TSH from a variety of species has been well characterized, including the amino acid sequence and carbohydrate composition (Pierce and Parsons, 1981). The α-subunit of bovine TSH has a molecular weight of 13,600, of which 10,800 is composed of a protein core of 96 amino acids and 2,800 (21%) represents two oligosaccharide units linked to asparagine residues. Bovine TSH-β has a molecular weight of 14,700, of which 13,100 is comprised of a protein core of 113 amino acids and 1,600 (12%) represents one asparagine-linked oligosaccharide unit.
KeywordsSialic Acid Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum High Mannose Subunit Combination Oligosaccharide Moiety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amr, S., Menezes-Ferreira, M., Shimohigashi, Y., Chen, H. C., Nisula, B., and Weintraub, B. D., 1986, Activities of deglycosylated thyrotropin at the thyroid membrane receptor-adenylate cyclase system, J. Endocrinol. Invest., in press.Google Scholar
- Gesundheit, N., Fink, D. L., Taylor, T., and Weintraub, B. D., 1985, TRH modifies the carbohydrate structure of secreted TSH: Analysis by concanavalin A chromatography, Program of the 67th Annual Meeting of the American Endocrine Society, p. 110, (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Gesundheit, N., and Weintraub, B. D., 1985, Effect of thyrotropinreleasing hormone (TRH) on the carbohydrate composition and sulfation of secreted thyrotropin (TSH), Clin. Res., 33, 2: 534A (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Lippman, S. S., Amr, S., and Weintraub, B. D., 1986, Discordant effects of TRH on pre-and post-translational regulation of TSH biosynthesis in rat pituitary, The 18th Miami Winter Symposium (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Liu, W-K. and Ward, D. N., 1975, The purification and chemistry of pituitary glycoprotein hormones, Pharmac. Therap., 1: 545–570.Google Scholar
- Weintraub, B. D., Stannard, B. S., Magner J. A., Ronin C., Taylor, T., Joshi, L., Constant R. B., Menezes-Ferreira, M. M., Petrick, P., and Gesundheit, N., 1985, Glycosylation and posttranslational processing of thyroid-stimulating hormone: Clinical implications, Rec. Prog. Horm. Res., 41: 577–606.PubMedGoogle Scholar