Urine Citrate and Calcium in Calcium Nephrolithiasis
Our particular interest concerns urine citrate in idiopathic calcium oxalate stone disease. Only 3 previous (1,2,6) studies have included both sexes; they disagree as to the level of urine citrate, and the reduction of citrate in patients compared to normal, although both find that patients excrete less citrate than normals. They used different citrate methods. In one of the two, the numbers of women were small: 7 patients and 15 normals. In four other studies, of only men, patients were found to excrete between 97 and 63 percent as much citrate as normals (3,4,5,6,7).
KeywordsUric Acid Urine Calcium Calcium Oxalate Calcium Oxalate Stone Calcium Oxalate Monohydrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hodgkinson, A.: Citric acid excretion in normal adults and in patients with renal calculus. Clin Sci 23: 203–212, 1962.Google Scholar
- 3.Robertson, W.G., Peacock, M., Nordin, B.E.C.: Activity products in stone-forming and non-stone-forming urine. Clin Sci 34: 579–594, 1968.Google Scholar
- 4.Elliot, J.S., Ribeiro, M.E.: The urinary excretion of citric, hippuric, and lactic acid in normal adults and in patients with calcium oxalate urinary calculus disease. Invest Urol 10: 102–106, 1972.Google Scholar
- 6.Schwille, P.O., Scholz, D., Paulus, M., Engelhardt, W., Sigel, A.: Citrate in daily and fasting urine; results of controls, patients with recurrent idiopathic calcium urolithiasis, and primary hyperparathyroidism. Invest Urol 16: 457–462, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.Weber, D.V., Coe, F.L., Parks, J.H., and Tembe, V.: Urinary saturation measurements in calcium nephrolithiasis. Ann Int Med 90: 180–184, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.Meyer, J.L., Smith L.H.: Growth of calcium oxalate crystals II. Inhibition by natural urinary crystal growth inhibitors. Invest Urol 13: 36–39, 1975.Google Scholar
- 15.Finlayson, B.: Calcium stones: some physical and clinical spects in calcium metabolism in renal failure and nephrolithiasis. D.S. Davis, ed., Wiley and Sons, New York, Ch 10, p 337–382, 1977.Google Scholar