Effects of Glucagon on Renal and Extrarenal Handling of Pi in Rodents: Evidence for Pi Mobilizing Activity
Glucagon is known to be released during fasting (1) and between meals (2), and it is generally accepted that the presence of this hormone is important in the prevention of hypoglycemia. Furthermore, glucagon has also been found to be phosphaturic in man (3) and animals (4, 5) fed diets containing normal amounts of inorganic phosphate (Pi). Since these phosphaturic effects are associated with decrements in Plasma Pi concentration ([Pi]P1.) one has to conclude that glucagon had acted through a change in the renal handling of Pi.
KeywordsMalachite Green High Phosphorus Hormone Infusion Glucagon Injection Glucagon Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Unger, R.H. Insulin-glucagon relationships in the defense against hypoglycemia. Diabetes 32: 575–583, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Butlen, D., and S. Jard. Renal handling of 3’-5’-cyclig AMP in the rat. The possible role of luminal 3’-5’-cyclic AMP in the tubular reabsorption of phosphate. Pflügers Arch. 331: 172–190, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.Mühlbauer, R.C., J.-P. Bonjour, and H. Fleisch. Tubular localization of adaptation to dietary phosphate in rats. Am. J. Physiol. 233 (Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol. 2): F342 - F348, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.Franke, H., G. Gronow, and K. Petersen. Glucagon induced funtional changes of isolated perfused rat kidney. Curr. Probl. Clin. Biochem. 8: 424–434, 1977.Google Scholar
- 14.Uranga, J., R. Fuenzalida, A.L.Rapoport, and E. del Castillo. Effect of glucagon and glomerulopressin on the renal function of the dog. Horm. Metab. Res. 11: 275–279, 1979.Google Scholar
- 15.Mühlbauer, R.C., J.-P. Bonjour, and H. Fleisch. Abnormal hyperphosphatemic response to fasting in X-linked hypophosphatemic mice. Min. Electrol. Metab. 10: 362–365, 1984.Google Scholar
- 16.Talmage, R.V., S.H. Doppelt, and J.H. Postma jr. Observations on the relationship of parathryoid hormone and calcitonin to plasma and liver phosphate. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 153: 131–137, 1976.Google Scholar
- 18.Blackard, W.G., N.C. Nelson, and S.S. Andrews. Portal and peripheral vein immunoreactive glucagon concentrations after arginine or glucose infusions. Diabetes 23: 199–202, 1974.Google Scholar