Inhibition of Acetylcholine Synthesis in Vitro
The concentration of acetylcholine (ACh) in brain is maintained within narrow limits even though the turnover rate is several fold that estimated for other neurotransmitters (16). The precise mechanisms regulating ACh metabolism are complex and there is considerable disagreement as to which factor(s) is rate-limiting to synthesis. Regulation of ACh levels can be separated into several categories, no one of which by itself is controlling but collectively can regulate ACh synthesis: 1) Choline acetyltransferase (ChAT) activity; 2) Availability of its precursors, choline or AcCoA and; 3) Indirectly, by changes in ACh release.
KeywordsMethyl Iodide Choline Chloride Choline Concentration Acetylcholine Synthesis Form Charge Transfer Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cavallito, C.J., White, H.L., Yun, H.S. and Foldes, F.F. (1970): In Drugs and Cholinergic Mechanisms in the CNS (eds) F. Heilbronn and A. Winter, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 97–116.Google Scholar
- 7.Doukas, P.H. (1975): In Drug Design 5 (ed) E.J. Ariens, Academic Press, pp. 133–167.Google Scholar
- 8.Dowdall, M.J. (1978): In Cholinergic Mechanisms and Psycho-pharmacology (eds) D.J. Jenden, Plenum, New York, pp. 359–375.Google Scholar
- 10.Freeman, J.J., Choi, R. and Jenden, D.J. (1975): J. Neurochem. 24: 729–734.Google Scholar
- 12.Grob, C.A. (1960): Chem. Abstr. 54: 8862d.Google Scholar
- 13.Hansch, C., Leo, A.J. (1979): Substituent Constants for Correlation Analysis in Chemistry and Biology, (eds) Wiley, Appendix II, p. 249.Google Scholar
- 15.Hersh, L.B. and Peet, M. (1977): J. Biol. Chem. 252: 4796–4802.Google Scholar
- 17.Kim, W.H. (1978): Ph.D. Thesis, Temple University. Non Benzenoid Aromatic Enzyme Inhibitors: Inhibition of Horse Snm Butyrylcholinesterase by Azulene and Ferrocene Derivatives.Google Scholar
- 22.Peterson, C. and Gibson, G.E. (1982): J. Pharmacol. and Exp. Ther. 222: 576–582.Google Scholar