Cholinergic Rem Sleep Induction Response as a Marker of Endogenous Depression
At the present time the diagnosis of mental disorders is defined by operational criteria, which are primarily based on the presenting sysmptoms, i.e., Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC) (18); Diagnostic and Statistics Manual III (2). This is also true for treatment decisions and prognosis. There is, however, a growing body of evidence that specific biological abnormalities that have both pathophysiological as well as diagnostic significance may be present, in disorders such as manic depressive illness.
KeywordsMajor Depressive Disorder Discriminant Function Analysis Research Diagnostic Criterion Endogenous Depression Research Diagnostic Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aikiskal, H.S. (1980): J. Clin. Psychiatry 41: 6–14.Google Scholar
- 2.American Psychiatric Association (1980): Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd Ed.Google Scholar
- 6.Feinberg, M., Gillin, J.C., Carroll, B.J., Greden, J.F. and Zis, A.P. (1982): Biol. Psychiatry 17: 327–341.Google Scholar
- 9.Hobson, J.A., McCarley, R.W., McKenna, T.M. (1976): Prog. Neurobiol. 6: 280–376.Google Scholar
- 10.Hull, C.H. and Nie, N.G. (1979): SPSS Update. New Procedures and Facilities for Releases 7 and 8. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 12.Kupfer, D.J., Foster, F.G., Coble, P., McPartland, R. and Ulrich, R. (1978): Am. J. Psychiatry 135: 69–74.Google Scholar
- 13.Rechtchaffen, A. and Kales, A. (1968): A Manual of Standard Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep States of Human Subjects. NIH Publication #204, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 14.Rush, A.J., Giles, G.E., Roffworg, H.P. and Parker, C.R. (1982): Biol. Psychiatry 17: 327–341.Google Scholar
- 15.Sitaram, N. and Gillin, J.C. (1980): Biol. Psychiatry 15: 925–955.Google Scholar
- 17.Sitaram, N., Nurnberger, J.I., Gershon, E.S. and Gillin, J.C. (1982): Am. J. Psychiatry 139: 571–576.Google Scholar
- 18.Spitzer, R.L., Endicott, J. and Robins, E. (1978): Research Diagnostic Criteria for a selected group of functional disorders. d. 3 New York: Biometrics Research Division, New York State Psychiatric Institute.Google Scholar
- 19.Vogel, G.W., Vogel, F., McAbee, R.S. and Thurmond, A.J. (1980): Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 17: 305–316.Google Scholar