Relationship between Oxygen Tension and Oxygen Uptake in the Perfused Rat Liver
Recently, a method was developed to measure rates of oxygen uptake in periportal and pericentral areas of the hepatic lobule in perfused rat livers (1). This was accomplished by monitoring O2 uptake with miniature O2 electrodes placed on light (periportal) and dark (pericentral) spots on the liver surface. Changes in O2 concentration were measured when the flow was stopped allowing rates of O2 uptake to be calculated (1). Previous studies have demonstrated that rates of O2 uptake were 2- to 3-fold higher in periportal than in pericentral regions of the liver lobule (1,2,3). Hepatocytes in periportal and pericentral zones of the liver lobule differ in their enzyme contents and subcellular structure (4,5,6). Periportal cells contain fewer, larger mitochondria with larger cristae areas, whereas pericentral areas have more, smaller mitochondria (7). The purpose of these studies was to explore mechanisms responsible for different rates of O2 uptake in periportal and pericentral regions of the liver lobule. The results indicate that regional rates of oxygen uptake correlate with local oxygen concentrations.
KeywordsOxygen Concentration Oxygen Uptake Liver Lobule Hepatic Lobule Perfuse Liver
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. Matsumura, T. Kashiwagi, H. Meren and R. G. Thurman, Gluconeogenesis predominates in periportal regions of the liver lobule, Eur. J. Biochem. 144: 409–415 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Jungermann and N. Katz, Functional hepatocellular heterogeneity, Hepatology 2: 385–395 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.D. F. Wilson, M. Erecinska, C. Drown and I. A. Silver, The oxygen dependence of cellular energy metabolism, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 195: 485–493 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.J. G. Conway, F. C. Kauffman and R. G. Thurman, Rates of sulfation and glucuronidation of 7-Hydroxycoumarin in periportal and pericentral regions of the liver lobule, Mol. Pharmacol. 22: 509–516 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.J. G. Conway, F. C. Kauffman, T. Tsukada and R. G. Thurman, Glucuronidation of 7-Hydroxycoumarin in periportal and pericentral regions of the liver lobule, Mol. Pharmacol. 25: 487: 493 (1984).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Jungermann and N. Katz, Metabolic heterogeneity of liver parenchyma,in “Metabolic Compartmentation, H. Sies, ed., Academic Press, London, (1982).Google Scholar
- 16.R. Scholz, W. Hansen and R. G. Thurman, Interaction of mixed-function oxidation with biosynthetic processes. I. Inhibition of gluconeogenesis in perfused rat liver by aminopyrine, Eur. J. Biochem. 38: 64–72 (1973).Google Scholar