The Effects of Acute Ischaemia on Intramyocardial Oxygen Tensions
Most of the studies of myocardial oxygen tensions (PmO2) that have been performed in the beating heart have been carried out in dogs (Rude et al 1982, Rude et al 1984, Moss 1968, Schuchhardt 1985, Reyes et al 1978, van der Laarse 1978). This species is known to have a number of microscopic collateral vessels in contrast to humans and pigs that have few such structures (Berne and Rubio 1979). As far as we are aware, no studies have been performed to determine the distribution of PmO2 values in the myocardium of the pig. Neither have studies been made of minute-to-minute changes in PmO2 distribution during conditions of acute myocardial ischemia. This paper reports our work in these areas.
KeywordsOxygen Tension Ischaemic Myocardium Ischaemic Area Central Venous Pressure Measurement Arterial Carbon Dioxide Partial Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berne R.H. and Rubio R., 1979, Coronary circulation, in: “Handbook of Physiology,” R.M. Berne, N. Sperelakis, S.R. Geiger, eds., American Physiology Society, Bethesda, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Faithfull N.S., Erdmann W. and Fennema M., 1985, Oxygen supply to the myocardium, Adv Exp Med Biol, 180: 411Google Scholar
- Faithfull N.S., Erdmann W., Fennema M., Kok A., 1985 in press, Effects of haemodilution with fluorocarbons or dextran on oxygen tensions in the acutely ischaemic myocardium. Brit J Anaesth.Google Scholar
- Laarse A. van der, 1978. On the multiple polarographic measure.nent of myocardial oxygen tension. Thesis: University of Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Lund N., 1985 in press. Skeletal and cardiac muscle oxygenation. Adv Exp Med Biol.Google Scholar
- Moss A.J., 1968, Intramyocardial oxygen tension, Cardiovasc Res, 3: 14.Google Scholar
- Reyes J.G., Erdmann, W., Mardis, M., Karp R.A., King M. and Lell W.A., 1978, Evidence for existance of intramyocardial steal, Adv Exp Med, 94: 755.Google Scholar
- Schuchhardt S., 1985 in press. 14yoardial oxygen pressure: Mirror of oxygen supply. Adv Exp Med.Google Scholar
- Walfridsson H., Lewis D., Sjöberg F. and Lund N., 1985 in press. Acute coronary occlusion: Oxygen pressure in the border zone studies in the pig. Int J Microcric.Google Scholar