Effects of Carotid Artery Compression Test on Regional Cerebral Blood Volume, Hemoglobin Oxygen Saturation and Cytochrome-C-Oxidase Redox Level in Cerebrovascular Patients
The effects on the EEG tracings of a short lasting digital occlusion of the carotid artery in the neck has long since been used as a functional test in the clinical assessment on cerebrovascular patients. The occurance of EEG slowing during this manoeuvre is the expression of a cerebral ischemic anoxia and probably of a defective collateral circulation.
KeywordsCerebral Blood Volume Hemoglobin Oxygen Saturation Capillary Recruitment Redox Level Regional Cerebral Blood Volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armitage, P., 1971, “Statistical methods in medical research,” Blackwell Scientific Publications, London.Google Scholar
- Buck, A.A., and Gart, J.J., 1966, Comparison of a screening test and a reference test in epidemiologic studies, Am. J. Epidemiol. 3:586.Google Scholar
- Ferrari, M., Giannini, I., Carpi, A., and Fasella, P., 1983, Non invasive infrared spectroscopy of brain in fluorocarbon exchange-transfused rats, Chem. Phys. and medical NMR 15: 107.Google Scholar
- Ferrari, M., Giannini, I., Sideri, G., and Zanette, E.,1985, Continuous non invasive monitoring of human brain by near I.R. spectroscopy, in: “Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology: Oxygen Transport to tissues,” Vol. VI, F. Kreuzer, S.M. Cain, Z. Turek, T.K. Goldstick, eds., London, Plenum Press, in press.Google Scholar
- Giannini, I., Carta, F., and Ferrari, M., 1984, Non invasive brain monitoring in near IR: a first analysis of human physiological data, in: “Applications of physics to medicine and biology,” Z. Bajzer, P. Baxa and C. Franconi, eds., World Scientific Publiscing, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Gibbs, J.M., Wise, R.J.S., Leenders, K.L., and Jones, T., 1984, Evaluation of cerebral perfusion reserve in patients with carotid-artery occlusion, Lancet i, 182.Google Scholar
- Kariman, K., and Burkhart, D.S., 1985, Heme-copper relationship in cytochrome oxidase in rat brain in situ, Biochem. Biophis. Res. Comm. 126:1022.Google Scholar
- Siegel, S., 1956, in: “Non parametric statistics for the behavioral sciences”, McGraw-Hill Company, New York.Google Scholar