Advertisement

Videodensitometric Determination of Oxyhemoglobin Saturation (SO2) in Muscle Capillaries

  • Mary L. Ellsworth
  • Roland N. Pittman
Part of the Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series (AEMB, volume 200)

Abstract

The transport of oxygen to striated muscle cells is comprised of two principal components: one convective and the other diffusive. To evaluate the convective component it is necessary to quantify the amount of oxygen delivered to the site of exchange. Therefore, one must determine the number of red cells in the delivery vessel, the velocity of the red cells and their level of oxygenation. Oxygen is carried in the blood in two forms. About 98% of the oxygen is bound to red cell hemoglobin at normal hematocrit with the remaining 2% dissolved in the plasma. Therefore, a relatively accurate estimate of the level of oxygenation can he obtained from measurements of oxygen saturation.

Keywords

Oxygen Saturation Video Analyzer Optical Density Ratio Hemoglobin Solution Striate Muscle Cell 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. Duling, B.R., 1973, The preparation and use of the hamster cheek pouch for studies of the microcirculation, Microvasc. Res., 5:423.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. Duling, B.R., Damon, D.W., Donaldson, S.R. and Pittman, R.N., 1983, A computerized system for densitometric analysis of the microcirculation, J. Appl. Physiol., 55:642.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. Ellis, C.G., Fraser, S., Hamilton, G. and Groom, A.C., 1984a, Measurement of the lineal density of red blood cells in capillaries in vivo, using a computerized frame—by—frame analysis of video images, Microvasc. Res., 27:1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. Ellis, C.G., Potter, R.F. and Groom, A.C., 1984b, Continuous measurement of red cell velocity in capillaries with flow reversals, using a video computer technique, Microvasc. Res., 27:241.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Piller, H., 1977, “Microscope Photometry,” Springer—Verlag, New York.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. Pittman, R.N. and Duling, B.R., 1975a, A new method for the measurement of percent oxyhemoglobin, J. Appl. Physiol., 38:315.Google Scholar
  7. Pittman, R.N. and Duling, B.R., 1975b, Measurement of percent oxyhemoglobin in the microvasculature, J. Appl. Physiol., 38:321.Google Scholar
  8. Pittman, R.N. and Duling, B.R., 1977, Effects of altered carbon dioxide tension on hemoglobin oxygenation in hamster cheek pouch microvessels, Microvasc. Res., 13:211.Google Scholar
  9. Pittman, R.N. and Okusa, M.D., 1978, Video densitometric determination of intravascular hemoglobin oxygen saturation in the terminal microvasculature, Physiologist, 21:92.Google Scholar
  10. Pries, A.R., Kanzow, G. and Gaehtgens, P., Microphotometric determination of hematocrit in small vessels, Am. J. Physiol., 245:H167.Google Scholar
  11. Sullivan, S.M. and Pittman, R.N., 1982, Hamster retractor muscle: a new preparation for intravital microscopy, Microvasc. Res., 23:235.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  12. Tyml, K. and Sherebrin, M.H., 1980, A method for on-line measurements of red cell velocity in microvessels using computerized frame-by-frame analysis of television images, Microvasc. Res., 20:1.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  13. Whalen, W.J., Riley, J. and Nair, P., 1967, A microelectrode for measuring intracellular PO2, J. Appl. Physiol., 23:798.PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Plenum Press, New York 1986

Authors and Affiliations

  • Mary L. Ellsworth
    • 1
  • Roland N. Pittman
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Physiology and BiophysicsMedical College of VirginiaRichmondUSA

Personalised recommendations