Effects of Vitamins C and E on Carcinogen Formation and Action, and Relationship to Human Cancer
To introduce this subject, I will briefly review the inhibition by vitamins C and E of the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines and nitrosamides (N-nitroso compounds), as well as effects of these vitamins on carcinogenesis and human cancer. I have previously reviewed the inhibition by vitamins C and E of N-nitroso compound formation (4, 5) and hope shortly to publish a more complete review on the subject (7).
KeywordsPolycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Esophageal Cancer Fresh Fruit Tumor Induction Nitroso Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benedict, W.F., W.L. Wheatley, and P.A. Jones (1980) Inhibition of chemically induced morphological transformation and reversion of the transformed phenotype by ascorbic acid in C3H/10T1/2 cells. Cancer Res. 40:2796–2801.Google Scholar
- 2.Graham, S. (1983) Toward a dietary prevention of cancer. Epidemiol. Rev. 5:38–40.Google Scholar
- 3.Ip, C. (1985) Attenuation of the anticarcinogenic action of selenium by vitamin E deficiency. Cancer Lett. 25:325–331.Google Scholar
- 4.Mirvish, S.S. (1980) Ascorbic acid inhibition of N-nitroso compound formation in chemical, food and biological systems. In Inhibition of Tumor Induction and Development, M.S. Zedeck and M. Lipkin, eds. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 101–126.Google Scholar
- 5.Mirvish, S.S. (1981) Inhibition of the formation of carcinogenic N- nitroso compounds by ascorbic acid and other compounds. In Cancer 1980; Achievements, Challenges, Projects, Vol. 1, J.H. Burchenal and H.P. Oettgen, eds. Grune and Stratton, Inc., New York, pp. 557–587.Google Scholar
- 6.Mirvish, S.S. (1983) The etiology of gastric cancer: Intragastric ni- trosamide formation and other theories. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 71:629–647.Google Scholar
- 7.Mirvish, S.S. (1985) Inhibition by vitamins C and E of N-nitroso compound formation and carcinogenesis, and relationship to human cancer. Cancer (ms. submitted for publ.).Google Scholar
- 8.Mirvish, S.S., and K. Laughlin (1985) Lack of vitamin E inhibition of nitrosamine formation from NO-derived nitrosating agent in mouse skin. Abstract of presented poster at the International Conference on Mechanisms of Antimutagenesis and Anticarcinogenesis, Lawrence, Kansas (this Volume).Google Scholar
- 9.National Academy of Sciences (1982) Diet, Nutrition and Cancer, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar