Structure and Expression of IgE Receptors
Cell surface receptors with high affinity for IgE are present only on mast cells, basophils, and neoplastic counterparts of these cells. Monomeric IgE is bound to these receptors and displayed on the mast cell/basophil surface. Subsequently, multivalent antigen may bind to adjacent receptor-bound IgE molecules. The primary role of these IgE receptors appears to be transducing this cross-linking signal in order to initiate mediator release. The specificity of these IgE receptors (or Fcε receptors) on basophils for IgE was first shown in studies with human peripheral blood leukocytes (Ishizaka et al., 1970; Sullivan et al., 1971). More detailed studies of the structure, function, and expression of the high-affinity Fcε receptors have been made possible by use of the rat basophilic leukemia (RBL) cell line (Kulczycki et al., 1974).
KeywordsMast Cell Human Basophil Human Peripheral Blood Leukocyte Multivalent Antigen Human Macrophage Cell Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fewtrell, C., Goetze, A., and Metzger, H., 1982, Phosphorylation of the receptor for IgE, Biochemistry 21: 2004.Google Scholar
- Finbloom, D. S., and Metzger, H., 1982, Binding of immunoglobulin E to the receptor on rat peritoneal macrophages, J. Immunol. 129: 2004.Google Scholar
- Holowka, D., Hartmann, H., Kanellopoulos, J., and Metzger, H., 1980, Association of the receptor for IgE with an endogenous polypeptide on rat basophilic leukemia cells, J. Receptor Res. 1: 41.Google Scholar
- Kepron, M. R., Conrad, D. H., and Froese, A., 1982, The cross-reactivity of rat IgE and IgG with solubilized receptors of rat basophilic leukemia cells, Mol. Immunol. 19: 1631.Google Scholar
- Kulczycki, A., and Parker, C. W., 1979, The cell-surface receptor for IgE. I. The use of repetitive affinity chromatography for the purification of a mammalian receptor, J. Biol. Chem. 254: 3187.Google Scholar
- Kulczycki, A., Isersky, C., and Metzger, H., 1974, The interaction of IgE with rat basophilic leukemia cells. I. Evidence for specific binding of IgE, J. Exp. Med. 139: 600.Google Scholar
- Kumar, N., and Metzger, H., 1982, Gel filtration in 6 M guanidine HC1 of the a-subunit of the receptor for IgE, Mol. Immunol. 19: 1561.Google Scholar
- Parker, C. W., Schechtel, T., Falkenhein, S., and Huber, M., 1983, Induction of IgE receptors on human lymphocytes, Immunol. Commun. 12: 1.Google Scholar
- Perez-Montfort, R., and Metzger, H., 1982, Proteolysis of soluble IgE receptor complexes: Localization of sites on IgE which interact with the Fc receptor, Mol. Immunol. 19: 1113.Google Scholar
- Spiegelberg, H. L., 1983, Fc receptors for IgE on macrophages and lymphocytes: IgE synthesis, Fed. Proc. 42: 122.Google Scholar