Bombesin/Gastrin-Releasing Peptide Stimulation of Small-Cell Lung Cancer Clonal Growth
Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) accounts for 20-25% of all new cases of primary lung cancer. Unlike the other major histological subtypes of lung cancer (collectively referred to as non-SCLC), SCLC is highly sensitive to both chemotherapy and radiation therapy. With combination chemotherapy a clinical response will be observed in up to 95% of all patients, and complete disappearance of all known tumor is seen in 40-50% of patients (Morstyn et al., 1984). However, in spite of the early dramatic responses observed in most patients, the vast majority will relapse with SCLC, and fewer than 10% of all patients will achieve long-term disease-free survival. The median survival for all patients is 10-11 months. Thus, there is a need to develop alternative approaches to the treatment of this tumor type.
KeywordsSmall Cell Lung Cancer Small Cell Carcinoma Clonal Growth Small Cell Lung Cancer Cell Continuous Cell Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carney, D. N., Gazdar, A. F., Bunn, P. A., and Guccion, J. G., 1981b, Demonstration of the stem cell nature of clonogenic cells in lung cancer specimens, Stem Cells 1:149–164.Google Scholar
- Carney, D. N., Oie, H., Moody, T. W., Gazdar, A. F., Cuttitta, F., and Minna, J. D., 1983, Bombesin stimulation of small cell lung cancer growth, Clin. Res. 31:404.Google Scholar
- Carney, D. N., Brower, M., Bertness, V., and Oie, H. K., 1984, The selective growth of human small cell lung cancer cell lines and clinical specimens in serum-free medium, in: Methods in Molecular and Cell Biology (G. Sato and D. Barnes, eds.), Alan R. Liss, New York, pp. 247–262.Google Scholar
- Ihde, D. C., Makuch, R. W., Carney, D. N., Bunn, P. A., Cohen, M. H., Matthews, M. J., and Minna, J. D., 1981, Prognostic implications of stage of disease and sites of metastases in patients with small cell carcinoma of the lung treated with intensive chemotherapy, Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 123:500–507.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- McDonald, T. G., Ghatei, M. A., Bloom, S. R., Adrian, T. E., Mochizuk, T., Yanaihara, C., and Yanihara, N., 1983, Dose response comparisons of canine plasma gastroenteropancreatic hormone response to bombesin and the porcine gastrin releasing peptide, Regul. Peptides 5:125–137.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pandol, S. J., Jensen, R. T., and Gardner, J. D., 1982, Mechanism of [Tyr4bombesin-induced desen-sitization in dispersed acini from guinea pig pancreas, J. Biol. Chem. 20:12024–12029.Google Scholar
- Radice, P. A., Matthews, M. J., Ihde, D. C., Gazdar, A. F., Carney, D. N., Bunn, P. A., Cohen, M. H., Fossieck, B. E., Makuch, R. W., and Minna, J. D., 1982, The clinical behaviour of mixed small cell/large cell bronchogenic carcinoma compared to pure small cell subtypes, Cancer 50:2894–2902.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar