Effects of Cations and Nucleotides on Neurotensin Binding to Rat Brain Synaptic Membranes
The tridecapeptide neurotensin (NT) (pGlu-Leu-Tyr-Glu-Asn-Lys-Pro-Arg-Arg-Pro-Tyr-Ile-Leu-OH) is thought to act as a neurotransmitter/modulator in the central nervous system (Nemeroff et al., 1982). The existence of functional specific NT receptors that exist in both high- and low-affinity states in brain tissues has been well documented (Kitabgi et al., 1985). In some cases, it has been possible to identify the neurons that bear NT receptors. For instance, there is strong evidence for the presence of somatodendritic NT receptors on dopaminergic neurons from the substantia nigra and the ventral tegmental area (Quirion, 1983). These receptors presumably mediate, at least in part, the regulatory effects that NT is thought to exert on the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic dopaminergic systems (Nemeroff and Cain, 1985).
KeywordsVentral Tegmental Area Synaptic Membrane Scatchard Analysis Neurotensin Receptor Mesolimbic Dopaminergic System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bozou, J. C., Amar, S., Vincent, J.-P., and Kitabgi, P., 1986, Neurotensin-mediated inhibition of cyclic AMP formation in neuroblastoma N1E115 cells: Involvement of the inhibitory GTP-binding component of adenylate cyclase, Mol. Pharmacol, (in press).Google Scholar
- Kitabgi, P., Checler, F., Mazella, J., and Vincent, J.-P., 1986, Pharmacology and biochemistry of neurotensin receptors, Rev. Clin. Basic Pharmacol, (in press).Google Scholar
- Mazella, J., Poustis, C., Labbé, C., Checler, F., Kitabgi, P., Granier, C., Van Rietschoten, J., and Vincent, J.-P., 1983, Monoiodo-Trp11 neurotensin, a highly radioactive ligand of neurotensin receptors. Preparation, biological activity and binding properties to rat brain synaptic membranes, J. Biol. Chem. 258:3476–3481.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nemeroff, C. B., Luttinger, D., and Prange, A. J., 1982, Neurotensin and bombesin, Handbook Psychopharmacol. 16:363–467.Google Scholar
- Sadoul, J. L., Mazella, J., Amar, S., Kitabgi, P., and Vincent, J.-P., 1984, Preparation of neurotensin selectively iodinated on the tyrosine 3 residue. Biological activity and binding properties on mammalian neurotensin receptors, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 120:812–819.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sternweiss, P. C., and Robishaw, J. D., 1984, Isolation of two proteins with high affinity for guanine nucleotides from membranes of bovine brain, J. Biol. Chem. 259:13806–13813.Google Scholar