Hormonal Regulation of Glandular Kallikrein Activity and its Inhibitor in Human Plasma
Plasma glandular kallikrein (GK) activity, serum 3,5,3′-triiodothyronine (T3), thyroxine (T4), reverse T3, thyroid-stimulating hormone, plasma alpha2 macroglobulin (α2M) and alpha1 antitrypsin (α1AT) levels were determined in twenty-nine non-diabetic female subjects given normal ad-lib diet or one of several kinds of caloric composition for more than 7 days after an overnight fast.
Positive exponential correlation was found between serum T3 level and plasma GK activity (r=0.54), and there was positive linear correlation between serum T3 level and plasma 2M level (r=0.51). Positive natural logarithmic correlation was found between plasma GK activity and plasma α2M level (r=0.47). There was no correlation between plasma GK activity and plasma α1AT level, and between serum T3 level and plasma α1AT level. No correlation was found between serum T4 level and plasma GK activity, and between serum T4 level and plasma α2M level. There was no correlation between serum T4 and T3 level, but positive exponential correlation was found between serum T4 and reverse T3 level (r=0.82).
These data suggest that T3 responds to dietary carbohydrate through Kallikrein-Kinin system, and T3 regulates both GK activity and its inhibitor (α2M) in human plasma.
KeywordsCaloric Restriction Normal Volunteer Dietary Carbohydrate Positive Linear Correlation Caloric Composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. Koh, K. Uchida, S. Nambu, M. Tsushima, Y. Nishioheda, K. Murakami, and M. Ikeda, Changes of glandular kallikrein activity in human plasma following glucose ingestion, Arzneim.-Forsch., 32(11):1564–1566, (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Uchida, H. Kushiro, J. Kodama, Y. Hitomi, M. Niinobe, and S. Fujii, Rat thyroid kallikrein: its purification and properties, Agents and Actions (Suppl.), 9: 167–172, (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Uchida, H. Koh, S. Yoshimura, K. Okuma, H. Kushiro, S. Nambu, 60 r J. Kodama, and S. Fujii, Estimation of plasma and glandular kallikrein activity using fluorogenic substrates and its clinical application, Agents and Actions (Suppl.), 9: 91–96, (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Pasquali, L. Mattioli, M. Capelli, M. Parenti, M. Gallo, and N. Melchionelra, Effect of dietary calorie and carbohydrate levels on thyroid hormone concentrations in obese subjects, in: Pro¬ceeding of the Serono Symposia, ed. by G. Enzi, G. Crepaldi, G. Pozza, and A. E. RenoId, Academic Press, Volume 28, pp. 215–223, (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Ohlsson, Elimination of 125I-trypsin α-macroglobulin complexes from blood by reticuloendothelial cells in dog, Acta Physiol. Scand., 81: 269–272, (1971).Google Scholar