Characterization of Rat Kallikrein-Like Multigene Family and its Expression in the Submandibular Gland
A cDNA clone encoding rat tissue kallikrein was isolated from a submandibular cDNA library. The kallikrein cDNA clone was used as a probe to analyze the complexity of the kallikrein-like gene family and its expression. The results indicate that rat kallikrein-like genes identified with this probe belong to a very large and highly homologous multigene family. A number of these genes, perhaps as many as a dozen or so, are expressed in the submandibular gland.
KeywordsNerve Growth Factor cDNA Library cDNA Clone Submandibular Gland Genomic Clone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.D. Helfman, J. Feramisco, J. Fiddes, G. Thomas, and S. Hughes, Identification of clones that encode chicken tropomysin by direct immunological screening of cDNA expression library, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 80: 31–35 (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.T. Maniatis and E. Fritsch, in: “Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Manual”, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, pp. 270–294, 382–389, 455–467 (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.F. R. Blattner, B. G. Williams, A. E. Blechl, K. D. Thompson, H. E. Faber, L. A. Furlong, D. J. Grunwald, D. O. Kiefer, D. D. Moore, J. W. Schumm, E. L. Sheldon, and O. Smithies, Charon phages: Safer derivatives of bacteriophage lambda for DNA cloning, Science, 196: 161 169 (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Thomas, Hybridization of denatured RNA transferred or dotted to nitro cellulose paper, in: “Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 100,” R. Wu, L. Grossman, and K. Moldave, eds., Academic Press, pp. 255–266 (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Messing, New M13 vectors for cloning, in: “Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 101,” R. Wu, L. Grossman, and K. Moldave, eds., Academic Press, pp. 325–331 (1983).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Efstratiadis, J. W. Posakony, C. O’Connell, R. A. Sprtiz, J. K. DeRiel, B. G. Forget, S. M. Weisman, J. L. Slightom, A. E. Blechl, F. E. Baralle, C. C. Shoulders, and N. J. Proudfoot, The structure and evolution of the human B-globin gene family, Cell, 21: 653 – 668 (1980).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.W. H. Li, T. Gojobori, and M. Nei, Pseudogenes as a paradigm of neutral evolution, Nature, 292: 237–239 (1981).Google Scholar