Hydrolysis of Rat High Molecular Weight Kininogen by Purified Rat Urinary Kallikrein: Identification of Bradykinin as the Kinin Formed
We have previously reported that, although human urinary kallikrein, like glandular kallikreins for other species, releases lysyl-bradykinin from homologous and heterologous substrates, rat urinary kallikrein released a kinin which migrated like bradykinin in CM-cellulose chromatography and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (BBA677,471,1981). In the study we definitively established the nature of the kinin produced by rat urinary kallikrein by using purified enzyme and substrate, HPLC, radioimmunoassay and N-terminal analysis. Rat urinary kallikrein was purified to apparent homogeneity by a procedure which included affinity chromatography on aprotinin agarose. The kinin produced by rat urinary kallikrein acting on either pure rat high molecular weight kininogen or rat plasma or semi- purified bovine and dog plasma was identified as bradykinin. This observation provides the evidence of species differences in the specificity of glandular kallikreins acting on kininogens.
KeywordsBovine Plasma Plasma Kallikrein High Molecular Weight Kininogen Urinary Kallikrein Water Formic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. S. Prado, M. E. Webster, and J. L. Prado, Kallidin (Lysyl-bradykinin), the kinin formed from horse plasma by horse urinary kallikrein, Biochem. Pharmacol., 20: 2009–2015 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Marchetti, Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 5.Nib. Oza, V. M. Amin, R. K. McGregor, A. G. Scicli, and O. A. Carretero, Isolation of rat urinary kallikrein and properties of its antibodies, Biochem. Pharmacol., 25: 1607–1612 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Amunsen, J. Putter, P. Friberger, M. Knos, M. Lars Braten, and G. Claeson, Methods for the determination of glandular kallikrein by means of a chromogenic tripeptide substrate, in: “Kinins-II,” S. Fujii, H. Moriya, and T. Suzuki, eds., Plenum Press (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.M. L. Dos Reiss, F. Alhenc-Gelas, J. Allegrini, D. Kerbiriou, P. Corvol, and J. Menard, High molecular weight kininogen (HMW Kg) in the rat. Complete purification antibodies. Demonstration of lack of immunoreactive kininogen in a strain of Brown-Norway rats, Biochim. Biophys. Acta (Submitted).Google Scholar