Prospects for Control of Fertility in the Female Dog by Active Immunization with Porcine Zona Pellucida Proteins
Overpopulation of domestic dogs is a serious problem both in the United States and in many other countries. In the City and County of Honolulu alone, 21,614 dogs and cats were euthanized by the Humane Society from July 1983 through June 1984 simply because they were unwanted. That constituted 87.5% of the animals they took in (figures from Hawaiian Humane Society). Obviously, birth control technology is not the entire solution to this problem, because the best technology will not work unless owners of dogs can be motivated to use it. However, if humane organizations will do their job of educating people to control their pets’ fertility, it will be our job to provide a variety of contraceptive strategies to meet the variety of anticipated needs.
KeywordsEstrous Cycle Fertility Control Moderate Titer Prolonged Estrus Follicular Cyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen, A. C., and Simpson, M. E., 1973, “The ovary and Reproductive Cycle of the Dog (Beagle),” Geron-X, Los Altos, CA.Google Scholar
- Anonymous, 1983, “Report of Canine Birth Control Panel,” Morris Animal Foundation, Englewood, CO.Google Scholar
- Evans, H. M,, and Cole, H. H. (1931). An introduction to the study of the oestrous cycle in the dog, Mem. Univ. Calif., 9: 65.Google Scholar
- Ivanova, M., Bourneva, V., Gitsov, L., and Angelova, Z., 1984, Experimental immune oophoritis as a model for studying the thymus-ovary interaction: 1. Morphological studies, Amer. J. Reprod. Immunol., 6: 99.Google Scholar
- Mahi-Brown, C. A., Yanagimachi, R., Hoffmann, J. C., and Huang, T. T. F. Jr., 1985, Fertility control in the bitch by active immunization with porcine zonae pellucidae: use of different adjuvants and patterns of estradiol and progesterone levels in estrous cycles, Biol. Reprod., 32: 761.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marchevsky, R. S., Nascimento, E. F., and Chquiloff, M. A. G., 1983, Alteracoes morfologicas no ovario e corno uterino de cadela. I. Cistos ovaricos, Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zoot., 35: 381.Google Scholar
- Shivers, C. A., Sieg, P. M., and Kitchen, H., 1981, Pregnancy prevention in the dog: potential for an immunological approach, J. Am. Anim. Hosp. Assoc., 178: 823.Google Scholar
- Sokolowski, J. H., Stover, D. G., and Van Ravenswaay, F., 1977, Seasonal incidence of estrus and interestrous interval for bitches of seven breeds, J. Amer. Vet. Med. Assoc., 171: 271.Google Scholar