Effect of Immunization of Primates Against Porcine Zonae on Fertility and Hormone Profiles
Zona pellucida, the acellular glycoprotein envelope which surrounds the mammalian oocyte, has attracted attention as a possible antigen for immuno-contraceptive purposes. This interest is based on the demonstration that the zona pellucida contains at least one tissue specific antigen, as observed by immuno-diffusion and immunofluorescence (Sacco and Shivers 1978; Sacco 1981), SDS gel electrophoresis (Dunbar and Raynor 1980; Dunbar et al. 1981) and radio-immunoassay (Palm et al. 1979; Subramanian et al. 1981; Sacco et al. 1981; Gerrity et al. 1981).
KeywordsZona Pellucida Follicular Development Moderate Titer Follicular Atresia Wedge Biopsy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bamezai, A.K., Suman, L and Talwar, G.P., 1985, An enzyme immunoassay for zona pellucida antigens and antizona antibodies. Ind. J. Exp. Biol., Communicated.Google Scholar
- Mahi-Brown, C.A., Yanagimachi, R., Hoffmann, J.D., and Huang, T.T.F., 1985, Fertility control in the bitch by active immunization with porcine zonae pellucidae: use of different adjuvants and patterns of estradiol and progesterone levels in estrous cycles. Biol. Reprod., 32: 761.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sacco, A.G., 1977, Antigenic cross-reactivity between human and pig zona pellucida. Biol. Reprod., 21: 709.Google Scholar
- Sacco, A.G., Shivers, C.A., 1978, Immunologic inhibition of development, in:“Methods in Mammalian Reproduction”, J.C. Daniel, Jr., ed., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Sacco, A.G., 1981, Immunocontraception: consideration of the zona pellucida as a target antigen, in:“Obstetrics and Gynecology Annual”, R.M. Wynn, ed., Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York.Google Scholar
- Skinner, S.M., Mills, T., Kirchick, H.J. et al., 1984, Immunization with zona pellucida proteins results in abnormal ovarian follicular differentiation and inhibition of gonadotropin-induced steroid secretion. Endocrinology, In press.Google Scholar
- Suman, 1980, Quantitative studies on amount of anti-mouse zona pellucida antibodies required for blocking fertility in mouse. Thesis submitted for the degree of Masters in Biochemistry awarded by AIIMS, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Suman, 1985, Immunological properties and efficacy of Immunoglobulins induced by hetero-species zona pellucida antigen for blocking fertility in primates. Thesis submitted for award of Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, to AIIMS, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Tsunoda, Y., and Sugie, T., 1978, Inhibitory effect on fertilization in vitro and in vivo by zona pellucida antibody and the titration of this antibody, in: “Recent Advances in Reproduction and Regulation of Fertility”, G.P. Dalway, ed., Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam.Google Scholar