Characterization of an Antisperm Monoclonal Antibody Inducing Human Sperm Agglutination
Sera and cervical fluids of some infertile subjects of undetermined etiology contain antisperm antibodies inducing sperm agglutination and/or immobilization. These antibodies might be the underlying basis for the infertile condition (1–5). Non-aggl utinating or nonimmobilizing antisperm antibodies might also be involved in some cases of infertility by affecting in some unknown manner the fertilizing capacity of sperm or interfere with sperm-egg interaction. To identify the components constituting human sperm membrane that may act as antigens, we have raised monoclonal antibodies against human sperm membrane proteins. One of the cell lines produced antibodies that agglutinate human sperm (6). The interacting protein had an estimated mol. wt. of 84 kDa. In the present study, we have cultivated a second mouse fused spleen cell line raised against human sperm membrane proteins, producing antibodies that induce sperm agglutination. Localization of the antigen on the sperm surface and on colon carcinomatous cells was determined by an immunocytochemical method. Studies on the interaction of the antibodies with purified samples of carcinoembryonic antigen were carried out.
KeywordsCarcinoembryonic Antigen Ascitic Fluid Human Sperm Sorbitan Monolaurate Antisperm Antibody
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Franklin, R.R. and Dukes, C.D. Antispermatozoa antibody and unexplained infertility. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 89: 6–9 (1964).Google Scholar
- 4.Menge, A.C. Clinical immunologic infertil ity: Diagnostic measure, incidence of antisperm antibodies, fertility and mechanisms. In: D.S. Dhindsa and G.F.B. Schumacher (eds) Immunological Aspects of Infertility and Fertility Regulation. Elsevier/North Holland, New York, pp 205–224 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.Eneroth, P., Lizana, J., Moberg, P., and Bygdeman, M. Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) immunoreactivity in human seminal plasma. Scand J. Clin. Lad. Invest. (Abstract 142/Suppl. 152) 39: 51 (1979).Google Scholar
- 19.O’Brien, M.J., Zamcheck, N., Burke, B., Kirkham, S.E., Saravis, C.A., and Gottlieb, L.S. Immunocytochemical local ization of carcinoembryonic antigen in benign and malignant colorectal tissues. Amer. J. Clin. Path. 75: 283–290 (1981).Google Scholar
- 29.Stahli, C., Miggiano, V., LeDain, M., Ianelli, D., Fessler, R., Haring, P., Schmidt, J., and Staehelin, T. Distinction and characterization by monoclonal antibodies of epitopes on four proteins of clinical interest. Res. Monogr. Immunol. 3: 201–208 (1981).Google Scholar